• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how to winterize?

hitthebricks

Question

I have a 200 Merc. Optimax and have only used stabill in the fuel and thats all the dealer says I need to do but that seems like minimal maintinance. Does anyone know different? HTB

[Note from Rick, Go here:
http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/004520.html

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-06-2004).]

7 answers to this question

You will also want to fog the cylinders and check and possibly change the lower unit lube.I put away my boat late in the season so I only check the lower unit lube to make sure it isnt milky looking then change it in the spring.Also a good idea to pull off the prop to make sure there isnt any fishing line wrapped up in there.

check back in the forums. we have done a lot of talking about winterizing boats and motors. we've talked about fuel additives, fogging the engines, spraying the engine compartment, lower units, props, batt. and even trolling motors. all good stuff.

Check here:
http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/004520.html

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-06-2004).]

You don't have to make it rocket science. Other than stabilizing the fuel and draning/changing the lower unit grease thats about it. Fogging the cylinders isn't always necessary unless you plan on storing your boat for more than 3 months or so. I asked my dealer about this process and he said to keep it simple. The owners manuals go a bit overboard to protect the company. Stabilizing the gas and running the stabilized fuel through the system is the most important step. I run stabilized fuel all year long .

Bricks, I have the same engine and went thru the same agony last winter trying to decide what to do with it. Ended up running seafoam in the gas (all year) and then sprayed fogging oil in the air intake on the engine until it was about ready to kill. Give a little grease on the zerks that you can find and that should do you. Have a buddy with the new 250xs and he used the same approach and had no problems. You need to do all the other stuff that Rick mentions in his article also, but as far as the engine is concerned that is what I've done.

------------------
I fish, therefore I am.

[This message has been edited by Gadgetman (edited 10-11-2004).]

Whoa, Whoa!!! DO NOT SPRAY FOGGING OIL IN THE OPTIMAX AIR INTAKE!! You should never spray fogging oil in the opti air intake. This is a DFI motor and no gas gets run through the cyliders, the fogging oil will gum up on the bearings and cause them to fail. When I winterize an opti, I plug it into the diagnostic tool and cycle the oil pump for 25-30 cycles and them turn the motor over a couple of times. This coats the cylinder walls and bearings.

Even on other motors other than the Optimax it is never advisable to spray fogging oil through the intake, carb etc. There are such tiny orifices and meterin devices in there that that fogging oil will for sure cause your fuel delivery system to lose accuracy. The best way to do it is to just spray it through the plug hole while a buddy slowly cranks over the motor. This evenly distributes the oil without getting it where it doesn't belong.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com

thanks guys! the Opti Max seems to be a black hole when it comes to actual user friendly service info, the reason I asked was it just seems too easy for the hi-tech image of this engine. The way I understand it is, treat the gas, change the lower unit gear lube, fog the cylinders if idle over 3 mo. Thanks for the info., see you on the Croix until it freezes. HTB