• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thinking of muzzleloader hunting this year

It's been many years since I've shot my black powder gun and is very clean  but I'm thinking I'd like to take it out this year and deer hunt. I used to shoot a ball  and would probably like to do that  for hunting

It's been so long so I'm a little bit rusty. I used to get black powder in Superior Wisconsin  but the store that I used to get it at no longer carries it.  Does anybody know any place within driving distance to  get black powder or could I order it through the mail?

Before I take it out and shoot it I need to have the accessories to clean it.  Many years ago when I used to shoot it a lot, are used to have a tube that would connect to the nipple or I would take the nipple off and reconnect another one and draw water through that to clean it.  Can you believe I've forgotten how this procedure is done?

Thanks to all that reply

Edited by tacklejunkie

I believe superior shooter supply carries what you need, try giving them a call, but on a search myself they do not seem to carry black powder but they may be able to point you in the right direction ?

Edited by Bobby Bass

2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Maybe Fisherman's Corner in Duluth?

Nothing there, either.

Evidently , there's some type of Hazard Fee if they carried it..

SSS in Superior used to carry it but no more.

My next step is to mail order it but is anyone familiar if this is legal?

Very few places carry real black any more due to restrictions after 9/11. I am fortunate that Ahlman's gun shop in Morristown, MN is a short drive for me and they still carry it. You can buy it mail order but there is a pretty big hazmat fee for someone just buying a pound or two. There are lots of ways to clean your rifle but the main thing is to get the barrel clean so you have no powder residue to corrode your barrel and action and to make sure and get the oil out of it before shooting. Good Luck

12 minutes ago, roony said:

Very few places carry real black any more due to restrictions after 9/11. I am fortunate that Ahlman's gun shop in Morristown, MN is a short drive for me and they still carry it. You can buy it mail order but there is a pretty big hazmat fee for someone just buying a pound or two. There are lots of ways to clean your rifle but the main thing is to get the barrel clean so you have no powder residue to corrode your barrel and action and to make sure and get the oil out of it before shooting. Good Luck

It looks like I'll be ordering it through the mail.  Looks like a $20 hazmat fee  per can so I'll have to make sure I order any other accessories I need  to justify that $20 hazmat fee. 

I used to screw a tube on the nipple and draw water up and down through that and evidently that worked because the barrel is still very clean after all these years. I had to look up again how you did that because I couldn't remember what I did.

Well, there are lots of ways to skin a cat but the way I do it with a traditional muzzleloader is remove the barrel from the stock and stick the nipple end in a bucket of warm soapy water and plunge the barrel out with your ramrod and a patch until it is clean. Then rinse the same way with warm clean water. Then I like to dry it with a dry patch and then an alcohol patch to make sure and get rid of all the moisture. Then a good gun oil inside and out for protection during storage. Before shooting again patch the oil out of it. Good Luck

2 hours ago, tacklejunkie said:

Well the powder has arrived(pain in the arse). Now when the snow quits, I can go out and shoot.

The rifle in question, BTW, is a Lyman Great Plains

Great Rifle! I had one in .54 but ended up selling it to help fund another purchase. I wish I still had that rifle.