• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bear Hunt Application

Does anyone have experience how many preference points (years) it generally takes to get drawn in zone 46 (north of 87 to Bemidji area)?  My daughter and I each have two points.  Is there a place on the DNR web site where it shows how many licenses are given for that area?  Thanks

I tried to figure this out last year and was pulling my hair out looking at the info online.  Not sure what I was missing, but I couldn't get the info I needed.  I ended up calling the DNR and talked with someone who was very informed.  She helped me a bunch and clearly answered all of my questions.  I'm not the states biggest supported of the MN DNR, but that employee was great!  As usual, there are well informed people in every organization, even ones who are confused and misguided.  My suggestion-- call and talk with someone. 

Zach I don't see how that info tells you anything about the odds of drawing other than in an extremely rough sense. It doesn't tell you how many people have how many points and it doesn't say a thing about the number of applicants for that unit in the past. 

350 permits with 360 applicants is one thing but if there are 3600 applicants that's obviously another...  That's not too mention what preference level the past applicants have been in so you can make an educated guess as to where you will fall in comparison on any given year. 

Thanks for posting that info Zach, it's a start. Unless you have knowledge of the number of applicants and say the average number of preference points, you must be saying our odds are good based on anecdotal or gut sense?

i guess that's really all I was looking for was the anecdotal experience of a few guys saying "last time I got drawn for this zone I was drawn on my second try", or "I've hunted this zone 3 times, took me two years twice and three years once" or any of that sort of thing. 

If I'm reading it right, it sucks.  46 is the new number for the zone and has one year under its belt, but last year 0 level 3 got drawn.  Ouch.  Even if you go back to before that when it was 44, some Level 3 got drawn, but not all. So I probably shouldn't bank on it.

Knowing that, we are more likely to get drawn for our second choice.  If we do, and don't buy the license, does anyone know whether we retain our points by not buying, or since we got drawn to we go back to square one?

my guess is your in the same zone/permit area I am. or close. we are over by talmoon/ spring lake. I have been applying for bear permits there since 1976. it takes about 3 to 5 years to get drawn depending on the amount of applicants. this will be my 4th year, the last 3 I just did the 99 selection which just gave me preference points. hope to get one this year!!!

also they moved the boundries around up there a few years ago.

I can not find any numbers.

I suppose a guy could get close by going over the last 5 years of data.  I am not going to.  A call to a DNR wildlife office or St. Paul may get you good level numbers.

There is one piece of narrative at the beginning of the report that stated Area 46 would take preference level 4 or more to get drawn.  Plus they dropped permits from 400 in '16 to 350 in '17.

Edited by ANYFISH2

Zach, always surplus in 46 too?  I just got this reply from DNR about how drawing your second choice or choosing to buy the license or not if you are drawn, affects your preference status:

"Whether you get picked for your first or second choice if you buy the license you lose all your preference points.  If you don’t purchase the license by August 1 you do not gain a preference point for this year and you stay at what you were at before applying this year".

Assuming we don't get an excess tag, and we do get drawn for our second choice but don't buy the tag, it would be two years yet (level 4) before we would even have a chance at 46.  Wow, too popular over there.  Would just be really convenient for us.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:39 AM, PropsterII said:

Zach, always surplus in 46 too?  I just got this reply from DNR about how drawing your second choice or choosing to buy the license or not if you are drawn, affects your preference status:

"Whether you get picked for your first or second choice if you buy the license you lose all your preference points.  If you don’t purchase the license by August 1 you do not gain a preference point for this year and you stay at what you were at before applying this year".

Assuming we don't get an excess tag, and we do get drawn for our second choice but don't buy the tag, it would be two years yet (level 4) before we would even have a chance at 46.  Wow, too popular over there.  Would just be really convenient for us.

Well last year there was 30  and since it is a new zone the years prior when it was a different zone there was surplus as well. I am not saying it is going to be easy but it is worth a shot if you are not drawn. Just be at a license center at noon I think that's the time it opens to surplus on whatever day it is.