• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Outboard motor sticking

Cooperman

Question

Two years ago I had my Evinrude 40 hp put on a new pontoon. Both years I have pushed it off the pontoon trailer only to find that the steering is locked up. I have to get it back to shore, and grab the motor and push and pull until it finally breaks free. Does anyone have any suggestion off what could be wrong? Cable sticking? I really don't know how it works. The motor position is usually to one side or the other. This time I tried moving the motor up and down to different positions to see if the helped, but it did'nt make a difference?

11 answers to this question

There should be a grease zerk at the end of the steering cable by the motor and sometimes at the front under the dash. Try giving them a few shots of grease and move it back and forth. Just don't pack it full of grease with the cable all the way out as it can lock it up a bit.

11 hours ago, leech~~ said:

There should be a grease zerk at the end of the steering cable by the motor and sometimes at the front under the dash. Try giving them a few shots of grease and move it back and forth. Just don't pack it full of grease with the cable all the way out as it can lock it up a bit.

Thanks Leech, do you know if it is special grease or just general purpose?

24 minutes ago, Cooperman said:

Thanks Leech, do you know if it is special grease or just general purpose?

There is Marine Grease you can get at Fleet but thats more for wheel bearings. I don't think it really matters there.

Edited by leech~~

What I see commonly is sometimes corrosion is present entire length of cable. Cable then needs to be removed , inside cable removed from sheathing and entire assy cleaned out and lubed, or problem will persist. Have plenty of beverages on hand.

8 hours ago, RebelSS said:

What I see commonly is sometimes corrosion is present entire length of cable. Cable then needs to be removed , inside cable removed from sheathing and entire assy cleaned out and lubed, or problem will persist. Have plenty of beverages on hand.

That's what I was hoping I wouldn't have to do. Thanks All.

Not sure what type of system you have Coop, but check the steering tube arm assy first, before ya start whonkin' on the cable assy. Work from back to front.  Good luck. Let us know what you find. 

For some reason I have this fear of the steering cable snapping when I'm going WOT across the lake and getting thrown over board. The boats a '95 and I have never had any issues with it, it just pops in my head sometimes? :eek:

I used to visualize my front tire falling off my motorcycle when I was layin' 'er down around a curve...figgered after 30 years of riding, maybe it's time to quit. I did. :crazy:

8 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

I used to visualize my front tire falling off my motorcycle when I was layin' 'er down around a curve...figgered after 30 years of riding, maybe it's time to quit. I did. :crazy:

Ha, have a bike and think about a blow out from time to time. But since I ride in the woods at slower speeds most of the time it could happen!