• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gettig a smokin tube, suggestions??

Boar

Boar,

Take a look at the Amazen smoker, I have one and us it for eggs, fish, cheese, great for cold smoking, or adding smoke for meats. You fill the maze with pellets, light it through the hole with a torch, and let it burn thru the maze. The tubes work great also.

https://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

37 minutes ago, Cooperman said:

Boar,

Take a look at the Amazen smoker, I have one and us it for eggs, fish, cheese, great for cold smoking, or adding smoke for meats. You fill the maze with pellets, light it through the hole with a torch, and let it burn thru the maze. The tubes work great also.

https://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

I have the A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER 5X8, and this is the way to go, IMO. If you want extra smoke, you can light both ends and it will create perfect TBS (thin blue smoke) for the duration of the cook. Light just one end for less smoke (use a pencil torch or propane torch). One tray of pellets will burn for HOURS and I have never had to use up a whole tray for even a longer smoke period. You can cold smoke with it, which is why I originally bought it, but I even use it instead of my actual smoker's chip tray for hot smoking as it is so much more reliable and eliminates flare ups, burn outs, etc. (I use a propane smoker). I know it seems ridiculous to pay $35 for something so simple, but it has paid for itself over and over again for me.

A good tip I picked up along the way is to fill the tray (so you know how many pellets you'll need), then dump them into a glass bowl and microwave the pellets for a minute and a half. This dries them out to aid in lighting and keeping them lit. Works like a charm!

Amaze-n Tube Smoker for sure!....haven't tried the tray but either option should be similar. Have both the 12" and the 6". 6 usually gets me by but with the price of 14.99 i would just get that, can always fill less for a shorter amount of time. As others mentioned you can light both sides to double the smoke output. One of the best cooking items I have purchased with the cold smoking options.....salt, potatoes, apple pie, lemonade, bloody Mary's, cheese, kraut, the list goes on

I have both the tube smoke generator, and the sawdust tray smoke generatofrom A-Maze-N.   If you watch both of my short videos, you can see the difference in the amount of smoke.  

I use the sawdust tray for all of my cheese and butter smoking, as for me... it has the perfect delivery of smoke and produces almost no heat.  4 or 5 of my friends use the same set-up.  I started with lighter flavored sawdust, but quickly found that I can use stronger woods in sawdust form, and hickory is a favorite.  I also like the Pitmasters Blend that Todd sells as well.

I use the tube for flavor smoking meats, but because of the amount of smoke it puts out, I recommend a smoker/cabinet that has a lot of volume and really good air flow.  I only use it in my upright drum smoker, which is about 5" taller than a standard 55 gallon drum.  Of all the pellet flavors I've tried, the Pitmasters Blend is my favorite, and I use them sprinkled into my lump as well.

boy just thinkin here, that this litle tool.is gonna be cool, i love smomein stuff but like a for a roast or cheese or anything that i just wanna add smome to, and finish in the ove or on the grill. cant wait

Boar,

Go for the gusto - buy the A-MAZ-N 18" Tube.  That's pretty much all I use now.  Usually i don't have to put smoke on the meat for 6 hrs - But if I need to, I have the capacity.  However, I'm assuming you have to open your smoker to fill a chip tray - perhaps you have a better way of adding chips when hot-smoking.  Personally, I've stopped using my chip pan to avoid opening my door and just use the tube - even if i just needs an hour of smoke.  Works great!