• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leech or Winnie?

Jim Uran

16 hours ago, Jim Uran said:

Going to make a day out of it on Sunday with the GF and the kids, which one would you go to for multi species action with probably zero moving after initial set up? Who plows roads out on Leech? 

Honestly, if I had kids in tow and wanted "multi-species" action, I'd probably avoid both and look for a panfish lake instead. You could go through High Banks on Winnie (plowed road, $10 access fee) and get out on the humps. Have a chance at walleyes and perch and maybe a pike mixed in. There's virtually no one targeting panfish on Winnie, at least in the main basin. As for Leech, it's kind of more of the same...you could target eyes/perch or crappies, but not both in my experience, definitely not if you want to set up and sit still. Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but if you want the kids to have fun I think a good crappie or gill bite will trump walleye fishing 11 times out of 10, hence the suggestion to find a more traditional panfish lake. Usually where you have a mix of crappies and gills you can also get pike, bass, perch, etc.

3 hours ago, Jim Uran said:

We've been pounding small perch on Pike Bay the last few weekends so I'm just looking for a change. I don't know the lakes around here well enough to take on a panfish bite with kids lol. Maybe I'll head west an hour to my old stomping grounds to get them on some gills! 

It's hard to take a chance on new lakes in a new area. I know dozens of lakes where I grew up and when to fish them, where to try, etc. A few years back I moved about 25 miles away and now I feel like a rank amateur on these new lakes. Good luck! :) 

Jim, PM me when you get a chance. Cass Lake is my old home town and I know Pike Bay better than probably any lake in the world. I'll be happy to give you some ideas to get on better fish out there.

Edited by thatoneguy