Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
mattlinster

New Ice House Frame

Top 3 links are all the same spindle....

4 hours ago, rl_sd said:

Each of my axles are 3,000# - total of 6000# together. I believe that IC uses 4,000# axles on each side of their houses....

I decided to check w/ my frame maker to double check... Axles are 2750# each (6-bolt) on my house, not 3000#... So my house is 5500# GVWR. My frame was roughly 800#.

You don't need to add brakes just because you have heavy axles, breaks are determined by weight. I don't have brakes and I'm well over 3500#'s but I wish I did and will probably add them this summer. 

6 minutes ago, Hawg said:

You don't need to add brakes just because you have heavy axles, breaks are determined by weight. I don't have brakes and I'm well over 3500#'s but I wish I did and will probably add them this summer. 

Yeah brakes are by weight but I thought the law in MN was anything over 3k or 3500 lbs legally needs brakes?

36 minutes ago, Hawg said:

add brakes just because you have heavy axles, breaks are determined by weight. I don't have brakes and I'm well over 3500#'s but I wish I did and will probably add them this summer. 

29 minutes ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

Yeah brakes are by weight but I thought the law in MN was anything over 3k or 3500 lbs legally needs brakes?

I believe it's 3500#, but I would put them on at anything over 2500#.  

I wouldn't pull my house if it didn't have brakes, I would for sure put them on... A 3500 lb house behind a pickup in the middle of winter without brakes is just asking for trouble

Parts list looks good. I guess that I wouldn't pull a 8x16 without brakes unless I was in a 3/4 ton pickup. MN regs is 3000# and over need both brakes and separate license plate (vs. "lifetime" sticker). I have only pulled my house a handful of miles and have not felt like I needed brakes..... BUT it is shorter, narrower, and lighter than what you are building and I haven't had it out on icy roads yet.

A little change of subject but I plan on running a propane line from the front of the house to the back under the bunk for a furnace would I be fine running it up and over in the ceiling and what would you guys use for propane line size and type?

Personally I hate the whole idea of running it that far, too many opportunities for trouble. If it was me though I would run rubber along the floor by the wall and cover it with an aluminum U channel. You want to know RIGHT NOW anytime you have gas problems and burying them in floors or walls is a problem you don't find out about till its too late. That way you know where you can and can't screw or nail, and believe me, lots of screwing and nailing happen when you think you're done. That sounds dirty doesn't it :)

Well I got the wheel wells done this weekend I went with 1/4 inch HPDM from Men--ds and it worked really good I am happy with the results and it was way cheaper than aluminum! I will put up pics when I can every time I try to load them on my phone they are upside down.

Edited by mattlinster
Pics upside down

11 hours ago, mattlinster said:

Well I got the wheel wells done this weekend I went with 1/4 inch HPDM from Men--ds and it worked really good I am happy with the results and it was way cheaper than aluminum! I will put up pics when I can every time I try to load them on my phone they are upside down.

Just to clarify, because I've been trying to find this HPDM everywhere with no luck...it is actually HPD(E) and is readily available at most of the Menards and other stores.  

How is that stuff to cut? 

Ya sorry it is HPDE I was confusing it with UHMW that we use for lining conveyors and pits. It is really easy to cut it has a smooth side and a rough side I just put the smooth side up and made a line on it with a razor blade and cut it with my cordless skill saw. You could use a jig saw or rip it on a table saw.

http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/specialty-panels/plastic/1-4-x-4-x-8-hdpe-panel/p-1444424094192-c-14048.htm?tid=-1282029915808556071

dam, I really like that! I did a lot of searching on a lot of ice fishing forums regarding house builds when I built mine and never saw anyone using that. Does it come in a variety of colors? Way to think outside the box!

Menards only sells white and black but looking on the internet it looks like you can get any color you want. The only thing that could be an issue is that the sheets can expand a little and it says to drill a little bit bigger hole in the sheet than your screw so it can give.

But why? I'm doing my best to think of reason to use this stuff, what advantage is there. It sure isn't because it looks better. If you don't like diamond plate, I hate it, why not just get the cheaper deck steel and put POR15 on it.

Edited by Hawg

13 minutes ago, mattlinster said:

Cheaper lighter easier to work with will not rust corrode and is basically a giant mud flap already. I think it looks awesome!!

Would look pretty sharp with a blue LED or two in the corners of each wheel well.  We're putting lights in ours for setup and tear down at night.  lights and wire are pretty cheap in the grand scheme of the build when it comes to adding convenience.  

I thought by looking it was some type of coated particle board but not the case right? HPDE means nothing to me not being in construction, is it rubber? You said mud flap so is it actually flexible or is it like a cutting board? Look up Puck Board also, it looks like a newer product but not sure of pricing. It says it's 3 times stronger.

Edited by Hawg

Here is what I found to explain the product the best I could in all reality it's probably the best product that you could use and you can get it in red or yellow or any color so you could match your wall color or accent it if you want. I think you could even put it around the bottom of your house and use it instead of diamond plate because it's UV resistant and very impact resistant for rocks.

High Density Polyethylene Sheet (HDPE)

YOUR STRONGEST EVERYDAY PLASTIC.

High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) sheet is extremely strong against impact, abrasion resistant, and exhibits a low coefficient of friction. The material is also moisture, stain, and odor resistant, and is FDA approved for use in the food processing industry (mainly for cutting boards). The material's durability makes it a perfect match for a variety of applications such as water tanks, chute linings, bottle/bottle cap production and numerous other industrial uses. Borated HDPE offers radiation protection in nuclear facility applications.

SIZES

ePlastics® carries all sizes of High Density Polyethylene sheet up to 96" x 240" and can cut to size or machine with CNC routers to any desired shape.

PROPERTIES

Rigidity and tensile strength of the HDPE resins are considerably higher than those of the low and medium density materials. Impact strength is slightly lower, as is to be expected in a stiffer material. Values remain high when compared to those of many other thermoplastic materials, especially at low temperatures.

APPLICATIONS

Mechanically ground HDPE resins are used to rotationally mold large, complex shaped products such as fuel tanks, trash containers, dump carts, pallets, agricultural tanks, highway barriers and water and waste tanks for RVs. Additionally, HDPE sheet is often extruded with a pebble finish and is used as a cutting board in a variety of industry markets such as meat packing, butchering, and more.

I got some more tin on last night now for the back wall and then for the rubber roof. I did end up adding another window to the front. I have decided to put up a dividing wall across the front for a bathroom but not all the way across so there wont be a door in it this new window will give the front some more light.

IMG_3546.JPG

IMG_3547.JPG

IMG_3548.JPG