• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Should I let my lab do this?

Now that the snow is gone, I've been walking on trails in the woods. My lab has been flushing alot of grouse. My question is, is this something I should be allowing in the off season? Will he lose interest in flushing them if I'm not shooting them for him to retrieve?

Now that the snow is gone, I've been walking on trails in the woods. My lab has been flushing alot of grouse. My question is, is this something I should be allowing in the off season? Will he lose interest in flushing them if I'm not shooting them for him to retrieve?

I doubt the dog would lose interest. My Brittany chases birds and squirrels in the yard all year long. I'm no expert but I would think it would do more harm to prevent the dog from flushing than to allow it?

Definitely not during nesting season. There is a law against letting dogs flush pheasants when they are nesting.

There's a law against training dogs during that time period on MWA's or state administered lands but I'm not too sure it is specifically against the law for your dog to occasionally flush a bird while walking it on a trail? Are you saying his dog needs to be on a leash from April 16 to July 14?

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/birds/ruffedgrouse.html

Check out the link. It's to the MN DNR webpage. The summary on breeding is below.

Reproduction

The peak of the mating season is late April. Nests are placed on the ground, usually in dense forest in a depression next to a tree trunk or stump. Hens lay about 10 to 14 eggs that hatch in 23 days. The male grouse has no parenting role. The chicks stay with the hen until late September and are fully grown in 16 weeks.