• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Down to 2 choices on a new auger, quick question for you

lungdeflator

My buddy bought a z71 the second hole he drilled he broke trough and the muffler just hit the water and died and now the engine is junk. DO NOT BUY it's also very heavy but it had plenty of power To drill a 10 inch hole.
This doesn't make any sense...

lungdeflator

I cant give my opinion on the 71 or 51 but I can say that I love my

mako 43 I would say that if you do a lot of hole hopping that the 51 or 71 is going to be a pig to lug around ( reason I bought a strikemaster chipper light because even my 43 was heavy) But I can say my mako can drill hole like a bat out of hell and is the best starting auger I have ever started and have never had any problems with it.

Thanks for the input! Since moving to ND I do still drill some holes looking for walleye but not near as much as panfish back in MN. I have been drilling with an old 3hp 10" jiffy that somehow is still running and will be a backup for me but I cant imagine the Z71 being any heavier than the old jiffy. So I'm not as concerned about the weight.

Do any of you guys have any issues with ice building up by the blades when its cold? The jiffy has that flat plate with the blade in it and it always ices up after a couple holes when drilling in cold weather. Even my dads 2-3 year old jiffy has that problem.

Having been a strikemaster fan the past 30 yrs, but not liking the new augers they offer, I purchased the 8" eskimo a month ago. I've cut about 150 holes so far, and have never had an auger work as well as this one. Several of my fishing buddies sold their strikemasters and went with the 43cc eskimo also. I see no need for the 10", but you will be VERY happy with an eskimo. Taz

Lungdeflator - I own the Z51 8" model, and I absolutely love it! I had an Eskimo S33 before that and loved that thing too. The only reason I switched was it was too good of deal to pass up.

My Z51 has more than enough power for an 8" hole, and I am sure it would work just fine with the 10". However, depending on price, how many holes you like to drill, and method of moving your gear around, I would suggest the Z71 just to have the bit extra power with the bigger hole. What can hurt to have the extra power, especially if the weight doesn't bother you.

IMO - I would put my Eskimo up against any other auger on the market. I have actually, and there are a lot of buddies of mine with strikemaster, jiffy, ion, etc that are surprised by the speed of my Eskimo. They are SUPER reliable and an excellent bang for the buck.

Good luck making the final decision!

my buddy has the eskimo 43cc and its a nice unit, though i can attest to the fact that my 2.5 solo strikemaster lazer will cut 2 holes to the eskimos 1 thats with brand new blades on both units. both are very reliable units IMO as i have not had a single problem in 3 years with the strikemaster nor has my friend with his eskimo except that the bolt that keeps the shaft on the powerhead comes loose on his eskimo quite often, why i do not know. i would love a nils since i mostly chase panfish but for the price difference i am happy with my strikemaster.