• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hauling portable on trailer hitch storage rack?

sdsu_jacks

Currently my portable fits fine in the back of my pick-up but I am looking at getting a ATV, hopefully before next winter. The ATV would fit perfect in the bed of my pick-up and I don't really want to buy a trailer to haul it around on (limited budget and storage space). So... has anybody ever put their portable shack on a trailer hitch storage rack on their pick-up? It would obviously be a tight squeeze and need some straps to hold it down in place, but even then it may be too big. I've got a clam Voyager, so it would be 70" long, about the same as bumper to bumper length. Just thinking out loud here on a way to haul it without a trailer. I've got a 2013 Dodge Ram Outdoorsman.

If you've got/seen any unique or homemade rigs for hauling, post them!

I've seen many people do it, those hitch racks can handle over 250 lbs, just make sure it's strapped down tight...

I would just worry about all the road salt/oil/other grime the tires will throw on it...

Something like this would work just fine - http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Series-1040100...G2TMJ2N74XPHA7E

I do it all the time as I don't want the snow and ice in my SUV. Much easier to load and it straps on the carrier nicely with 2 winch straps. Just make sure to keep an eye on it if you stop somewhere for an extended period of time (dinner/drinks/motel).

Just started doing that this year. Saw pics of others last year and started working on project this summer. Sold older utility trailer (pain to haul around and took up alotof storage space) bought a 500lb capacity cargo hauler (menards clearance) and putmy brand new tcx voyager on it forfirst time last weekend,couple of ratchet tie down straps over cover, was awesome. I did modify it with trailer lights and put expensive stuff in back of explorer (fish finder,auger,rods, jigs,heater)cause im a worry wort and makes it easier lifting portable on carrier but I am very happy with the change. It also helped that telling wife it was on clearance and a great extra storage benefit for family trips also.

I've seen many people do it, those hitch racks can handle over 250 lbs, just make sure it's strapped down tight...

I would just worry about all the road salt/oil/other grime the tires will throw on it...

I bought one for the same reason this year, wheelers in the truck and the gear is on the rack but it does get the road spray on your gear so now before I strap it done i put a moving blanket over my sled/gear then strap it down. It helped keep alot of the slop off. It is a lot easier to load and unload also.

Glad to see that people do it and it works out okay! Definitely would not put the valuables back there though! Right now if I take the seats off my portable, the tonneau cover will roll right over top of it and nobody even knows my shack is back there. Hopefully next year I get a ATV....