• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How Do I Buy Music

lawman

I bought a new Sony MP3 player. I have a lot of CD's so I loaded them onto my Windows PC (windows 7) Media Player file. I have no problem loading tunes from Media Player onto the MP3 player. I have no clue how to buy music on line and get it into a form I can use to load it to the MP3. I tried buying a song from Amazon but I have no clue where it ended up. I could grab the nearest 9 year old off the street to show me how I am sure but I thought I would go this routs instead.

I bought a new Sony MP3 player. I have a lot of CD's so I loaded them onto my Windows PC (windows 7) Media Player file. I have no problem loading tunes from Media Player onto the MP3 player. I have no clue how to buy music on line and get it into a form I can use to load it to the MP3. I tried buying a song from Amazon but I have no clue where it ended up. I could grab the nearest 9 year old off the street to show me how I am sure but I thought I would go this routs instead.

I think typically it goes into your library on amazon and you can download from there. I just tried it by "buying" a song that amazon had for free. After you get done checking out it asks "listen" or download now. If you choose download it asks if you have the amazon music app, or "just download". I chose "download" and it downloaded. Windows asked if I wanted to open with itunes or save the file. I chose save and it downloaded into my downloads folder, which is my default location.

If you want to practice, look around on amazon. they have a number of songs for free.

I don't know how into sound quality you are, but there are websites that offer songs at higher bit rates (better quality) than standard outlets such as itunes and amazon.

I still buy CDs and then rip them to mp3s so that I've got the originals. At some point storage space will be cheap enough that you can rip CD quality and I don't want to have to re-buy all of this music.

That said, I'll buy older recordings on Amazon for example. It's usually when I'm looking for a specific old blues song/artist and know that the quality wouldn't be there in a full CD anyway.

I don't know how into sound quality you are, but there are websites that offer songs at higher bit rates (better quality) than standard outlets such as itunes and amazon.

I still buy CDs and then rip them to mp3s so that I've got the originals. At some point storage space will be cheap enough that you can rip CD quality and I don't want to have to re-buy all of this music.

That said, I'll buy older recordings on Amazon for example. It's usually when I'm looking for a specific old blues song/artist and know that the quality wouldn't be there in a full CD anyway.

The public library is a good source for music. They have many CDs.

Storage is already cheap. When you first rip your CD's make sure to set the option to rip lossless. If not, you will probably end up doing them again some day.

I wish I had a dollar for every person that said, lossy is fine then found out years later that they wanted lossless and had to start over.

Then make an external backup. If you have a lot of files, make another external backup and store it offsite.

A year ago I lost my main hard drive that stored my music. Threw it out popped in a new one. Copied over the files from an external backup and was up and running again in a couple days.

The public library is a good source for music. They have many CDs.

That would be illegal Del. You can legally rip anything you own for your own personal use. You can not rent or check out music or movies to rip and return as you do not own them.