• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who has actually had success on metro public?

1eyeReD

Don't have to share names of WMAs, SNAs or anything... Just wondering who has done it before and had success on bagging any kind of deer with a bow and what was the experience like?

I've scouted some places along the MN River (pretty obvious where it was for the cyber scouters) and I liked the amount of deer sign. Not sure I like the human sign though (trail markers galore, some trail cams, fresh boot prints, day walkers etc.). Either way, the deer are there.

I've Googled the topic and have read some good and bad reviews. Just wanted to hear some personal experiences that were GOOD! I'm considering it myself. Got some public with good habitat within a 15 min drive from work.

Ya. I've actually hunted right outside of metro unit past Jordan on 169 along the MN River before and really liked the layout of those river bottoms. Had does walk by in the few times I hunted and seen plenty o' scrapes and rubs, but never hunted it enough as I got distracted by other corners of the state. I figure if it was that nice just a bit outside of the metro unit, it's probably not that much different a few miles back towards home where it's considered "metro" unit or unit 601.

I know of a few non MN-River tracts scattered throughout the south, west and northeast metro that I can bet get hit pretty hard, but they all have decent deer sign year after year. Sometimes, I go walk these just for fun in the spring and summer and find decent sign. Some of them are big enough that you can actually go in pretty deep.

I've had some luck hunting WPA's with lots of pressure. Just out work everyone, be willing to work farther and walk through more thick stuff to find untouched spots. Everyone says it but I found it to be very true. Also, I saw my most deer on weekdays when I was the only one out there. Mondays were the best after they were hunted hard all weekend and they were up and moving

You will see other people and you will see illegal hunters. Be prepared to announce yourself or have a blaze hat or hankerchief with you. We have had small game hunters out there illegally several times.

I've seen deer several times and had decent luck. Just know you WILL see people.

When I was young I took a few out of carlos avery. The does I took were right on the edges of the wma to private land. I only drove into the wma about a quarter mile and only walked about 200 yards. Seemed like it would have been an obvious place to hunt but it wasn't heavily traveled. I did take a nice buck but was a long was in and had to put on chest waders to get there. If you put in the extra time you can get nice deer off of public land.

Between Chaska and St. Peter there is more good deer land than you can

imagine. just like every public hunting spot if you are only willing to walkfor a minute

you will obviosly run in to people leave five minutes sooner and walk farther

and let them help you out. I hunted private land between bp and henderson all

my life thats public now for 4 years or so and I dont think its gotten worse

You will see other people and you will see illegal hunters. Be prepared to announce yourself or have a blaze hat or hankerchief with you. We have had small game hunters out there illegally several times.

I've seen deer several times and had decent luck. Just know you WILL see people.

I think you are referring to public properties that are designated as archery only am I right? If so, I'll take note of that. Actually, having a little orange to flag a smallgame hunter is not a bad idea. In places that are not archery only, all hunters pursuing game legally in season are pretty much game with minor posted exceptions from tract to tract.

back when I was younger and really into bow hunting we found some "off the wall" hunting spots that worked well. Not WPA's or other areas but Public Land adjacent to boat accesses and other areas that are public land that are open to hunters. If you think a little outside of the box you can find these areas and be one of the only bow hunters hunting the area.

Another fun thing we did back then is rattling bucks in early November in spots that you couldn't hunt in the metro area but we're public land. Obviously we didn't bring our bows but to go out and rattle in 150 inch bucks is a blast weather you can shoot them or not. Frankly, my only real success at rattling in deer was in Edina, Bloomington, and Plymouth all without a bow. It's a hoot and they are as stupid as a fork horn.

back when I was younger and really into bow hunting we found some "off the wall" hunting spots that worked well. Not WPA's or other areas but Public Land adjacent to boat accesses and other areas that are public land that are open to hunters. If you think a little outside of the box you can find these areas and be one of the only bow hunters hunting the area.

Another fun thing we did back then is rattling bucks in early November in spots that you couldn't hunt in the metro area but we're public land. Obviously we didn't bring our bows but to go out and rattle in 150 inch bucks is a blast weather you can shoot them or not. Frankly, my only real success at rattling in deer was in Edina, Bloomington, and Plymouth all without a bow. It's a hoot and they are as stupid as a fork horn.

That is super cool. I know of a monster buck that lives by Bryant Lake in Eden Prairie. Saw him step out of the woods as I got off of HWY 5 onto I-494 northbound one day in the late afternoon this past month. He has quite possibly the biggest rack I've ever seen on a live whitetail on his dome. Will probably have to go try rattling him in during the rut while I'm not hunting.

As everyone has said, you can expect to see other hunters. In my experience, the woods are less crowded in the early season than later. I have found that the deer are somewhat used to people on some on the properties and don't mind the walkers.

As long as you are willing to do some scouting and wake up earlier than everybody you will likely be OK. I have hunted public land for nearly my entire hunting life and it is a blast. Any public land deer is a trophy as long as it is harvested legally and ethically.