• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Planer Boards

TrollnDrift

Question

I was out trolling tonight and I could not keep my planer board constantly in the water. The board kept popping out of the water when the rod loaded up. It would go from nose up attitude, level out, then pop out of the water and start all over again. I had it on a 8.5' medium action rod pulling a fat rap. Speed was 2-2.5 I tried raising the rod tip higher but it did not help. I have the yellow bird boards, the smaller ones. Do I need to upgrade to the Big Birds? It worked fine the other day with a different crankbait which was also a deeper diving high drag bait.

Thanks Erik

13 answers to this question

If you can find the Opti brand boards they run just as good as the Offshore brand for about half the cost. I like to replace the front clip with a Offshore OR-18 and the rear with a OR-16 but that is because I use the on Lake Superior and run nothing but braid. If you replace the front with either model it will insure you won't lose a board because they both have a center pin that your line goes behind for that reason.

I looked at the offshore brand boards at F&F they are the same size as my Yellow Birds. It is the design that makes the offshores better, or do they not carry the right size? I did replace my clips already with offshore clips as I know how nice the clips are from our superior setup. We run a tower and sliding clips on superior, these are just for lakes down south when i want to troll 4 lines out of one boat, or get away from the boat for spooky fish.

You might only need to tune your yellow birds a bit. The wire arm that the front release connects to has a little to much bend in it, flatten the bend (the bend that's half way out to where the release connects) just a LITTLE bit and try them again. Repeat until they run right. If they start to dive, you have flattened out the bend too much.

If you can find the Opti brand boards they run just as good as the Offshore brand for about half the cost. I like to replace the front clip with a Offshore OR-18 and the rear with a OR-16 but that is because I use the on Lake Superior and run nothing but braid. If you replace the front with either model it will insure you won't lose a board because they both have a center pin that your line goes behind for that reason.

Have you had any issues with ripping the hooks out of the mouths, esp on lakers with the braid? I use braid for dipseys but I also use a snubber. I had to go back to mono for boards because with no stretch, I was losing fish with the braids on boards