• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nils augers

Bob Hicks

I was really liking the Clam conversion plate and was ready to get one until I saw a post on this forum that the plate will not fit a Nils auger. Bummer! And after discussions on here it doesn’t look like an adapter for the low percentage of Nils augers in use is going to be built anytime soon. So what’s a guy to do?

I noticed that Nils has a recent addition (new in 2013) to their line of augers that is called a Convertible Cordless Hand Auger and it comes in 4.5, 6, and 8 inch sizes. It is a hand auger that can be converted directly to an 18v portable drill. The big difference is that it is a direct drive and doesn’t have the bearing system to lessen the stress on the drill.

But if you use the auger as directed by Nils – you don’t EVER put downward pressure on the auger to drill holes; you just let the weight of the auger provide the pressure – Nils says you should not have any problems with your drill burning out. That sounds good in theory, but does it translate to reality?

I called Nils USA and talked to them about where to get one of the new augers and they informed me that they are already sold out of the 8 inch bits for this season. But Cabela’s and a couple of other sources (including Nils USA) have plenty of the 4.5 and 6 inch models.

So I have some questions – do any of you have one of the new Convertible Cordless Hand Augers, have you had a chance to use it yet, and what are your thoughts/comments on its performance?

I've talked with guys running the Nils convertible in 4.5" and 6" during the last two seasons.

Both used the Nils Slick blades and the standard Red. The Slick is a little less aggressive for soft ice conditions but honestly a 18 volt low speed high torque will spin the 4.5 and 6" will spin a Red Nils without any problems. The Nils is know for its ease of cut as it takes less torque to bore a hole. That equates to less torque applied to the user holding the drill.

Anyway those guys are liking the convertible.

I believe the 8" Slick blade came out this year and haven't talked with anyone using them yet.

I've talked with guys running the Nils convertible in 4.5" and 6" during the last two seasons.

Both used the Nils Slick blades and the standard Red. The Slick is a little less aggressive for soft ice conditions but honestly a 18 volt low speed high torque will spin the 4.5 and 6" will spin a Red Nils without any problems. The Nils is know for its ease of cut as it takes less torque to bore a hole. That equates to less torque applied to the user holding the drill.

Anyway those guys are liking the convertible.

I believe the 8" Slick blade came out this year and haven't talked with anyone using them yet.

Hi Frank,

What are the differences between the different blades?

i got the 8 " nils this year and it would not cut, frank sharpened it and its an ice eating machine. i use a hitachi 18v brushless drill 3ah battery and it works like a charm. no need to push on it at all. doesn't seem to really put any stress on the drill. most ice i used in on was 15 in so far.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the information you post about Nils Augers. I appreciate the phone call we had also. Nice to know that the Nils are very affordable to have sharpen when you finally need to sharpen them. I had been doing some reading up before I purchased my TED-270PFDH 8" Nils Power auger & I have heard great things about them. Cannot wait to try it out.

Had a chance to do a small test with my 8 inch convertible Nils late last week. Only cut three holes through 15 inches of ice, but in less than a minutes time so I was very impressed. Faster than my SM Laser Mag. This unit will in all likelihood become my primary auger.

GOT IT! Used it last Thursday on about 12" of ice and drilled a dozen holes with it. D--n, that thing is FAST. And I was using my Ryobi 18V with a 1.5AH battery. One battery drilled all the holes but was down to it's last bar on the charge lights. I did have some sudden stops of the drill while drilling on about 4 or 5 holes, but the drill didn't seem to be overheating and it wasn't smoking. I'll give it a couple of more trips before I decide to upgrade to an industrial quality drill with bigger batteries. I may just have to put my Strikemaster up for sale. grin

I now have about 4 trips done with the new 6" Nils cordless auger. Yesterday I drilled 18 holes through 15" plus ice on one, 1.5 Ah battery. On hole # 19 the drill said "Nope". I guess I need to get a timed hole drill from start to finish and the actual thickness of the ice. I'm pretty certain that the gas Strikemaster will be going on sale before next ice season.

I bought a 4 inch long drill extension that's got two allen head screws that secure it to the auger shaft, I figured that auger shaft would get rounded up, seemed like soft metal.  The extension is hardened steel and made for putting a 1/2" drill on it.  

I know the Ice Master adapter is 3 sided and you shouldn't have any problems rounding it off.

To avoid rounding off the hex, be sure to tighten the chuck into the flat of the hex.  If tightened onto the high spot it'll round it off real fast. 

Another repair option is to build up 3 sides with weld. 

Hi guys - sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but just had a question for the Nils convertible owners. I was pretty certain I was going to purchase the Clam Conversion Kit (plate and auger) but then started reading about the Nils convertible.  Am I correct in understanding that you don't need to remove the chuck from your drill in order to use it?  The Nils convertible costs roughly the same, but I would definitely lean toward the Nils if that's correct. From what I can gather about the Clam, you almost need a drill especially dedicated for ice fishing as once you mount it to the drill plate it basically becomes a permanent fixture. 

Also, any recommendations between the 6 and 8 inch?  I go ice fishing mainly to relax, so I don't drill 50+ holes in a day. Once I'm set up, I tend to stay put.

Frank I bought a Nils last year and I like it a lot. Got the Tanaka motor and ran it at 50:1 and this year I know I can run 100;1 but would like to do 80 with amsoil-is that ok?

For those new to this gas auger you do have to adjust your approach to cutting holes.

A typical auger uses torque and weight to cut holes- N uses sharpness and speed, when you have irregular ice from tire tracks or whatever other augers might do better with a N

you might want to move over a little to get to even ice, no big deal. Just different than a typical auger but worth it.

th64,  mixing 80:1 with Amzoil Saber is fine and what I'm mixing at.

Getanet,   you leave the chuck on the drill and use that with the Nils Convertible.

Just be sure your tightening the chuck onto the hex head correctly. 

I believe new this year with the Clam plate is you leave the chuck on the drill.