• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar Mag Sheild

Question

How many of guys use this? I can see the detail just fine... but I am interested in it for keeping dump outta the face of the 'ole 18. Seems like the thing would distort closer to the edges due to the roundness (or bow) of the lense.

Thoughts?

------------------
-FNC

"Hell froze over last week... glad I brought the Vex"

12 answers to this question

I use the mag shield on my FL-8. I bought it mainly to keep the junk out of the face which it does very well. It has some magnification to it too but not as much as you would think it would, it's ok. It doesn't seem to distort it very much either. I used to take it off once we got set up, but now I'm used to it and just leave it on all the time.

--------

Fishn'Lady

I bought one for my FL8 a couple of years ago, didn't like it, then I tried it on my FL18 this year and it works good, I think the increased brightness of the 18 helps. I don't notice any distortion problems and it does the job of keeping the gunk out.

This is way too simple, but it comes from the "It works for me department".

The mag shied has a lot of distortion so I found it was not for me.

My "Cheap Fix" was to use Saran wrap and a rubber band when the snow and slop was bugging me by getting into the lens area.

For a tighter fit, a can lid that fits tightly and cut out the center, then stretch the Saran Wrap and pop the cap on.

Nope..it is not perfect fix, but Eh..it works for me.

I opted for the nice Cordura Cover accessory from the Motor Clinic--it protects the entire VEX, ducer and keeps junk out of the VEX face.

They are twice the price of the mag shield, but they do twice the job...

I have one on my vex and I really like it. It keeps all the junk out and I really haven't had any problems with distortion. I really don't care about the magnifacation much but keeping the junk out of there sure helps alot. ><>
deadeye

Thanks for the info guys. I stopped by Vexilar this AM, and they had one on on a FL 18. I didn't really like it... just didn't care for the magnification. I think I may just try Ed's "cheapie". Now, somebody could just invent the non-magnified cover. Hmmmmmm.

------------------
-FNC

Thanks for the info guys. I stopped by Vexilar this AM, and they had one on on a FL 18. I didn't really like it... just didn't care for the magnification. I think I may just try Ed's "cheapie". Now, somebody could just invent the non-magnified cover. Hmmmmmm.

------------------
-FNC

FishNChester; I don’t have one of those mag shields, but I do have a nice ad on. I took a small empty coffee can and spray painted it black,inside and out. Works great as a shade and also ads clarity. I tried one of the plastic ones they sell at the stores, it blew across the lake. Good riddance. On another note I had a friend that left his on the vexilar on a hot summer day and it burnt a hole threw the middle of it. Still works but it's a good lesson.