• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Renting a House Boat??

B-man715

Some buddies and I are toying with the idea of doing a trip this year up north.

Any recommendations of where to go?

We want to be able to travel around and not be stuck in one spot (I've heard a couple stories).

And of course, the cheaper the better smile

Thanks smile

-Brandon

Ive done both Rainy and Vermillion and would recommend both. The best trip I had was on Vermillion I pulled my 16' boat behind the houseboat for fishing from and the first day booked a 1/2 day guide trip with Cliff the info I learned from him on techniques for fishing that particular lake made the trip.

Ive done both Rainy and Vermillion and would recommend both. The best trip I had was on Vermillion I pulled my 16' boat behind the houseboat for fishing from and the first day booked a 1/2 day guide trip with Cliff the info I learned from him on techniques for fishing that particular lake made the trip.

Now that's what I'm talking about ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ smile

I'd love to go fishing with Cliff and learn the lake wink

Any idea how hard is it to drag two boats behind? (16' tin and 17'glass)

We do rainy lake hseboats every other year 6 to 8 of us pull our own fishing boats. Very reasonable rates. The doughertys are very good people have always made our trips great.

You posted while I was typing smile

Is it a nightmare towing more than one boat??

Never had any problems. just staggered the lenghts and disconnected them before we went to shore with the hseboat. Helps to have people that can drive the lil boats and people to help get the hseboat tied off. It adds a little work but isnt to bad of a price to pay to be in one of the most awesome places on earth!

We go around the end of July and have a great time. Never hired a guide and always do real well. Have a few spots figured out now after going so many years.

Have done five trips with the Doughertys, and have never had a hiccup. They have lots of repeat customers, but they're just terrific with first-timers, too.

Have towed three or four boats on every trip with no problems. As others have said, just stagger the rope lengths. It usually helps to tilt motors out of the water so they don't act as unwanted rudders. With multiple boats it's practically a necessity to have others operate them while mooring or shoving off. Reconnect them when you're clear of shore and pointed in the right direction.

Don't let inexperience stop you from this fabulous experience. Common sense, a little caution, and good maps are all you need.

I have done Ebels and Voyagaire houseboats in Voyageurs National Park. In my opinion, one of the most beautiful areas in the state and great fishing. Can't go wrong with either. The boat we had at Voyagaire houseboat you needed to run the outboard motors for I think an hour or more at night to charge the batteries-that was a bummer. The batteries didn't charge enough one night and I had to use my portable generator to charge them to start the boat. Lucky I bought a cheap Harbor Freight generator for my trolling motor batteries and got the boat going in the morning. Otherwise the boat was fine. Plenty of great camp sites.

It was the best family Vacation we have ever been on. Spend the extra as mentioned above for the boats with a built in Gen . besides being able to charge your trollong motor battieries We brought a small Tv with a built in DVD/bleray player so when you have an all day rain the little ones can pop a movie in.

We did a Voyageur Houseboat trip last year and had a great time. Cheap? No...but we got the full package with food, a fishing boat etc. They were really nice people to deal with. Think about when you go though. We went the week after Memorial Day and were pretty much confined to the boat for a day and a half. Very cold, rainy etc. I know you can't do anything about rain, but at least you could go out in it if it was July or August.

Thanks again guys smile

We have a boat booked with Vermilion Lake Houseboats for Memorial weekend.

The 44' Explorer is reasonably priced ($1000 for three days w/early season discount), and will fit up to eight people. Right now we have 6 that plan on going, but if some more friends join, it will lower the cost for all of us.

We have our own boats and generators that we are bringing with. I'm still a little leary of dragging them around, but you guys are helping me out with that wink