• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Graphing Fish Through Ice???

Zimm

Question

I am aware that I can graph the bottom depth through the ice, but can you graph fish too? I have the fl-18, and have no problems getting the bottom depth through the ice, but was just wondering if fish would show up too. Thanks for any information. Zimm

8 answers to this question

I do all the time. In fact I have a little squeeze bottle full of Salt water that I use to make a puddle for the ducer on the ice...it works like a champ!

Fish will show up as long as you can get a good reading. Bring some water along likr Chiro said and it should work as long as the snow cover doesn't taint the signal.

Good Fishin, Matt.

I mark fish all the time with my vex through the ice early in the season. I can find the edge of weed lines through the ice as well. Later in the season it gets tougher to do as the snopack and the ice surface consolidate and has a lot of air pockets. I can usually get around this by pouring a bit of warm water on the surface until the consolidated stuff melts away to good clear ice.

I also graph fish through the ice all of the time. I can do it through over two feet of ice if it is fairly clear. I bring along a little windshield bottle filled with water and wet the ice and I'm ready to look for fish.