• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

night crawler worm harnesses

Learning2Fish

I was gonna make some of these up and was wondering what is required for them to be legal?

Right now i have 2 hooks spaced about 3 inches appart, beads, floater and a spinner on about 4 feet of line.

How far appart can the hooks be spaced? is 2 hooks the maximum? Also can you put like a minnow on each hook or would it have to be a crawler? Just want to make sure they are legal. I only plan on putting 2 hooks on the crawler harnesses.

Thanks for your answers

I didn't know there was an illegal spinner rig, other than the Dupont Spinner. I use 1 and 2 hook. 1 hook if I am lindying, better action on the crawler. I use 2 hook if Bottom bouncing or 3 way as speed is in the equation. 3 inches is fine. Leader length could be longer, like 5-8 ft depending. Just my opinion.

Yours are perfectly legal. The legality of a lure only comes in to play when using a treble hook. Let's say you want to use a treble hook on a tip-up or a quick strike rig. In order for the rig to be legal it has to have a spinner blade on it thereby making it a "lure".

Thanks again, i just wanted to make sure they were in order before i made up too many of them up and have to start halfway over again to move the hooks closer.

I run them kinda more as a lindy type fashion and for the most part in 5-8 foot of water around here. I can't seem to find the three way swivles when I look not many stores seem to carry them. Thought a "drop shot" would be interesting to work i wanna try that.

I was gonna make some of these up and was wondering what is required for them to be legal? Also can you put like a minnow on each hook or would it have to be a crawler? Just want to make sure they are legal. I only plan on putting 2 hooks on the crawler harnesses.

Thanks for your answers

Is this legal?? a minnow / gulp bait on each hook??

The legality of a lure only comes in to play when using a treble hook. Let's say you want to use a treble hook on a tip-up or a quick strike rig. In order for the rig to be legal it has to have a spinner blade on it thereby making it a "lure".

If you tie up a 2- or 3- hook crawler harness, it needs to have a bead or a spinner blade to make it a lure and be legal --- otherwise it's the same as fishing with a plain treble hook.

I am using 2 single hooks with beads,floater, spinner blade ok that part is legal.

Now, what if you put on lets say a minnow/gulp on each hook is that legal? or does it have to be both hooks into a single bait? such as a night crawler or big chub mouth/tail?

If you have a 2 or 3 hooks and a bead in one crawler it is legal if you have a diferent bait on each hook (gulp, minnow, worm etc.) it is illegal.

This is from the DNR websight. It is kinda fague.

• Anglers may use only one hook. An artificial lure is considered one hook.

A treble hook, when not part of an artificial lure, is considered three hooks

and is not legal. The exception is that three artificial flies may be used

when angling for trout, crappie, sunfish, and rock bass.

If you have a 2 or 3 hooks and a bead in one crawler it is legal if you have a diferent bait on each hook (gulp, minnow, worm etc.) it is illegal.

This is from the DNR websight. It is kinda fague.

• Anglers may use only one hook. An artificial lure is considered one hook.

A treble hook, when not part of an artificial lure, is considered three hooks

and is not legal. The exception is that three artificial flies may be used

when angling for trout, crappie, sunfish, and rock bass.

The above rule is all in effort to ID a "Lure" or "hook"

There is no mention on how you can or cant bait a "lure" except for using "gamefish" as bait.

If you have a crawler harness with 3 hooks, it's a lure, or 1 "hook" as the DNR see's it. so if you want to put a worm on one hook a leach on the next and a minnow on the 3rd, it is still on a "lure" or "1-hook" all legal

Thank you minneman on the very useful information. That clears up alot of grey area in question. Many of the things you know are legal, but get asked why and just not able to say the reason why they actually are. Atleast here i know i can ask something and get a correct response. Thanks again

Also can you put like a minnow on each hook or would it have to be a crawler?

No question the crawler harnesses Learning2Fish is making are legal as he describe making them.

BUT, we've got varied "opinions" / deciferings of the law regarding baiting of the hooks (whether or not he can put a minnow (or small artificial) on each of the single hooks. I've always assumed illegal, but have often wondered. So far seems a "grey area." Anyone know the truth??