• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A few trolling questions

Chode2235

I have had some great luck long line trolling this year, and am looking to get a little more sophisticated and successful with those deeper fish. I have a few questions I hope you can help me out with.

Snap weights: Who uses them, what size do I need, and how do I set my lure to a depth? Say if I see fish suspended at 20 ft, and I am using a #5 shad rap.

Are there other options than snap weights like using a bell sinker on your line? How much line are you letting out before you snap on the sinker? Will it come off if I get a good fish on?

How do I know what depth I am at?

Fireline: Looking to get a fireline set up for a little more depth. What pound test are you using, smoke or crystal color, and are you using a leader or tying directly to the lure? What about power pro?

Thanks for your help.

Tie in a couple colors of 12 lb leadcore is likely the easiest option other than using 8lb braid to get baits deeper. Snap weights will work too but then you need to take them off when reeling in a fish which can be tough especially when fishing by yourself or in rough water. You can also use an inline weight with a short, (6-10 ft leader to your crank).

Troll after dark and you won't need to worry about getting deeper.

I used to use snapweights but now I use leadcore --- it just seems more precise to me, and easier to use.

But if you're wanting to run your baits close to the bottom a 3-way rig is hard to beat.

If you're going to use fireline or similar for more depth, the key is getting a line diameter that is thinner than your mono .... so something less than 20 lb test in the superbraid.

If I run a three way then I let it hit the bottom and then do about two to three cranks of the reel so I am just off the bottom. It is the same when you are pulling spinners. If you are going a bit faster, then you don't need to reel up, the resistance on the line, sinker and lure will get it off the bottom, but if you slow down you may find yourself with a snag.

I agree with Trophy Eyes, run your 3-way rig so the weight is just above the bottom. If I'm holding the rod I like to be able to drop the rod tip back and feel the weight hit the bottom ---- then I know I'm close.

Keep in mind that with a 3-way rig the length of the dropper to the weight and the length of the dropper to the crankbait will affect how close the lure runs to the bottom.

I do not think splits are going to help that much for the depth change you are looking for. You would have to pile them up right at the crank. I like to use keel weights. They are easy to change. Just make sure that the distance between your weight an your lure is not longer than your rod. (it does make landing the fish interesting though)

Thats what I thought, is this type of information covered in the trolling bible? Or where can I find more info on taking my trolling to the next level?

Getting back to your original post, and your example of wanting to run a shad rap 20' down to suspended fish .....

1. You can do this with snap weights, and

2. It's covered in the Precision Trolling book.

To take your trolling to the next level, you need to have 2 basics to start with --- 1 is a way to measure your speed (ie. a gps), and 2 is a line counter reel or clip-on line counter or a level-wind reel you can count the passes on, so you know how much line you have out.

After you have those 2 basics, the Precision Trolling book is next. It tells you how deep your cranks will go depending on how much line you let out, and it gives you all the info you need to get started with snap weights. Or leadcore, if you decide to go that route. Snap weights are probably easier to get the hang of, and cheaper.

But as long as you can measure your speed and how much line you have out, the Precision Trolling book is the first step to the next level of sophistication.

Do you guys mind if a muskie guy pokes around in the walleye forum? wink

What about adding split shot on the line? How much do you add to say get 50% deeper?

Precision Trolling (the trolling bible) says that a 1oz snap weight added 20 feet after the lure will add 20% to the depth of any lure. To go 50% deeper you would probably have to experiment with 3 or 4oz weights, and knowing what depth your lure is at while experimenting is very hard to do (in the book they use a scuba diver), at that point you might want to get into downrigging or leadcore.

Precision trolling has a pretty cool system where you use a 50' leader of mono then 90 feet of leadcore, then mono again to different lengths.

$50 is a lot of dough for a book but if you like numbers and trolling it's a lot of fun.