• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Desktop Computer

Iron Cowboy

Question

I need to upgrade my desktop computer. wife is starting online classes and ours is about 3+ years old. Anybody buy one recently and done the research? I need to keep it in the $500 to $700 range and want the best bang for the buck.I think the bundle deals at best buy etc. arent the best deal. any help is appreciated.

I need to upgrade my desktop computer. wife is starting online classes and ours is about 3+ years old. Anybody buy one recently and done the research? I need to keep it in the $500 to $700 range and want the best bang for the buck.I think the bundle deals at best buy etc. arent the best deal. any help is appreciated.

What are you going to use the computer for?

Most people, IMO, buy way more computer than they need. For simple web browsing, email, and an occasional letter, just about any computer you can buy today is more than adequate for that.

If your computer is only ~3 years old, maybe it just needs a good clean-up (clean out IE temp files and spyware/malware, defrag, get rid of unncessary startup items, etc.) and a memory increase to perform suficiently.

I have 2 macbook pro and an I mac, my wife uses PC laptop as she is "afraid" of the mac. It is the simplest machine and os to use. yes it costs more but when i screw something up, i go online make an appt with the apple store genius bar, take it in, tell them the problem, and normally within an hour it is fixed and they will explain what they are doing. Could never get that at the box stores. Ram is easy to change on all machines, i max out to the processor just to know i can run what i want. and if you have to have the microsoft os you can load it on a mac and run both systems. cant do it the other way tho. i am sold on the service, the fact that the hackers dont hit as hard, and other great items. they are intended to be long term investment. good luck

Originally Posted By: Iron Cowboy

What are you going to use the computer for?

Most people, IMO, buy way more computer than they need. For simple web browsing, email, and an occasional letter, just about any computer you can buy today is more than adequate for that.

If your computer is only ~3 years old, maybe it just needs a good clean-up (clean out IE temp files and spyware/malware, defrag, get rid of unncessary startup items, etc.) and a memory increase to perform suficiently.

I agree, just spend the money on a nice 24" flat screen monitor and it will seem like a new computer after a nice tune up as suggested above. I have a dell 8200 from back in 2003 and it is a little slower (running XP) than my new Dell Studio laptop (running Vista) with 4 gig ram and a super charged processer.

my gateway is from '02 and was struggling, i took it in to a guy i trust, he cleaned it up, optimized it and added memory. its like a brand new computer again all for under $100. might take that saved $$ and buy a nice flat screen monitor. I currently have the 19" tube one that is about 2 feet wide by 2 feet tall and roughly 57 feet deep.