• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dropshotting Midlake humps

Craigums

Ive located some midlake humps on my GPS, I was thinking about trying a dropshot on them next time I get to the lake. Are humps a good place to try dropshotting or are their more effective techniques for pulling fish off humps. Here is a look at what I've found, What do you guys think? Is there anything else I should keep in mind.

knife.jpg

Cecil beat me to it, its really all going to depend on what the bottom is. Will also depend a little on water clarity and weather, look off to the side of the humps for hard bottom, or on top, that is the area best suited for Drop-Shot. If its weedy, a texas rig, may be better suited, crankbait may not be a bad option as well.

Im not exactly sure what kinds of bottom content it is because I don't have a sonar, I spent all of about 5 minutes on one of the humps and tossed a jig, almost felt like a soft bottom (maybe muck?) I don't recall bringing any weeds in on the jig.

Also regarding water clarity, they lake has very poor clarity, not sure about in the middle of the lake like that but I had good luck working docks and the water was a dark green color.

Reid, from the sounds of it, he doesnt have a depth finder, which would rule out SI.. I too use SI a ton to find spots on a spot on off shore structure.

I finally know what you were talking about with the SI... Been using it for about a month not and it sure makes finding rockpiles a breeze...

Craigums, I have a vexilar that I mounted in my boat and aside from cheating (side imaging) there is really no better way to find hard bottom. I think a summer kit would be well worth the $60 or so that it would cost. For finding the nice rocks though, I would have to agree with Dietz and try a football jig on a nice stiff rod to transmit the bottom... might even stick a piggy in the process!!! smile

I don't mind fishing a drop shot in the weeds a little. If you beef up the equipment you should be just fine. I will throw a drop shot on up to 15 lb flouro on a baitcasting reel and 7'mh rod with one of the owner 3/0 down shot hooks tied with a palomar knot and the tag put back down through the eye of the hook so it will stand out straight from the main line. I use a baby brush hog or lizzard or whatever I think will work on it and have caught some really nice fish doing this on weedy midlake humps. If it is really thick though you might want to try a buzz bait or some other top water...

Dunno if this belongs here but I re strategized my approach on Dropshotting.

I put the retrieve of spinning reel on the right even if I'm a righty. This way, the left hand(weaker)holds the rod and gives me more sensitivity to feel the slightest tick tick tick.Been getting good success with it.

Drop shotting is great way to get fish off humps - I have never tried it on shallow humps like on your map but it works down to 25 fow for me for both LM and SM. If water is stained or poor visibility you might consider inserting a rattle in the bait you dangle. Another option might be carolina rig dragged across the humps.