• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bear Cub?

I had a nice sow coming in last year with two very small cubs. Well now I have pics of what I'm pretty sure is the same bear with the same cubs. The thing is, the cubs are not that small any more. When will they leave the mother? Second question. Would you shoot a large sow or not?

I wouldnt recommend shooting a sow if it has cubs. I work with someone who harvested mama bear----the cubs wouldnt leave and cried for their mother. It was such a bad experiance for him that he will only hunt grouse. If you know its a sow, wait a while and see if she has cubs-if you are confident that it does not, then I wouldnt hesitate on harvesting.

Cubs will typically leave their mother at 1 or 2 years old depending on when she is ready to breed again.

I dont know if it is illegal to shoot a show with cubs - however, an ethical hunter would never think about it. I have shot one bear; but it was more fun to watch a sow and two cubs for two hours milling around my bait site.

I actually shot the boar who chased the sow and cubs from the bait.

I think I better clear one thing up. I WOULD NEVER SHOOT A SOW WITH CUBS!! My question was, Would you shoot a sow (not with cubs) or wait for a big boar? I'm pretty sure that her cubs will be gone this year and yes it is fun watching her and the cubs. Where I hunt I already have seven pics of diffferent bears. But the sow bear with the two big cubs is VERY good size. I'm heading north tomorrow and should have a few good pics up soon. Thanks for all the info.

I believe that in Wisconsin it is illegal to shoot a sow with cubs but in MN it is still legal. I feel that MN is a step behind with this issue. I feel that a lot of MN's "problem bear" that are around people house's causing trouble are orphaned cubs that never were able to learn from their Momma where and how to find natural food. Usually in this area sows with cubs will be in very different terrian then boars. If we do end up with a sow and cubs hitting a bait we do not put hunters there unless there is also a decent boar hitting the bait and then we only put a very experienced bear hunter there. A little cub will have a very hard time surviving if Momma is killed and half of those cubs could become the big boars of the future.

I believe that in MN, the hand book states that it is legal to take a sow with cubs but is not recommended to do so. Which dosent make sense cause if it's not recommended they why make it legal. All around, not a good thing. boar

It should be illegal to shoot a sow with cubs in Mn But face it there are those that can't resist. I've talked with Garshelis and several C/O's in the area and the state feels that cubs have a good survival rate in that situation.

A certain guide north Orr seems to not be concerned or willing inform his hunters of the value of a sow.

Every year we find cubs standing around his drive way not even tall enough to match the height of his mail box. He has baits across the road from his property so the little ones follow the scent trail. Talk about lame its bad enough to deal with the radical antis in that area but this guys doing the work for em.

Sow Boys suck....

It always amazes me how many people have no idea what the game laws actually are. Here is how the regulations read in MN:

"Bears taken may be of either sex or any age except that bear cubs may not be taken. Cub bears are defined as less than 1 one year old".

Intentionally shooting a sow while legal, is irresponsible. Yearling bears can't reproduce like deer can. It take them a few years to sexually mature. Females need to be protected in order to keep their numbers stable, taking a breeding age female out of the woods hurts everyone. Shooting a sow with cubs is even more irresponsible. Sure the cubs may make it, but you certainly lessen their chances. I don't think we need a law telling people to do the right thing on this issue. Even if there was a law the same bananna's would probably shoot sows with cubs just so they could thump their chest and say that they 'got one'. I like to think most sportsman make the right call on their own.

I know very little about bear hunting. Do the cubs always come in with the Sow (Mother) to the bait, or do the cubs sometimes hang back out of sight? Also is a Sow bear like a Doe deer where you can easily tell (During most hunting seasons) if its a Sow and not a Boar? I wonder if the answer to either of these questions is NO that that is the reason it is not a law and just a recomendation? I mean if its really hard to tell if its a Sow or Boar with out having cubs with her then the DNR would be making criminals out of people who make an honest mistake by shooting a Sow if they made shooting Sows against the law. Just my 2 cents

Quote:
Cubs will generally charge in before the sow

Most of the time this is true however if not there not to far behind.I usually look to see if its lower in the front.

Granted its not the best angle but it shows pretty well the frame difference..

IMG_0163.jpg

compared to

IMG_0118-1.jpg

As for size of a bear I cut 5' sections of birch for cover logs and to give all who hunt with me something to judge by.....

IMG_1291.jpg

IF IN DOUBT DON'T SHOOT

I would not intentionally shoot a sow. If you shoot a mature sow without cubs she is probably going to have cubs that Winter. Her cubs obviously will not be born. If you shoot a sow that has cubs, her cubs may or may not survive, but at least they have some chance of survival. Like I said I would never intentionally shoot a sow.

It is pretty unethical to shoot a sow with cubs. There chance of survival is low. I have seen cubs in mid Nov - early Dec, I feel safe to assume that they did not know what to do and didn't make it. In the Ontario regs, it doesn't even mention that is not reccommended. As an outfitter, they repeatedly say not shoot a sow with cubs and if on the mandatory hunter reports there are to many sows shot in our BMA, the MNR will work on implimenting a quota for the area and a very conservative one.

One of the coolest things is to watch a sow with cubs at the bait. I have had numerous experiences watching and taking pictures. Though it is not illegal to take a sow with cubs, you have to be a person in a whole other place than most to even consider it. I think the wording in the pamphlet should more clearly, maybe in bold, emphasis the benefit of passing up on sows with cubs, maybe a whole page like the collard bears diagram. In the book there is more about the collared bears than sows with cubs. I have seen both, the cubs hanging back and the cubs at the bait first. I think it is a matter of really educating our fellow hunters, that for some reason need to be educated, of the benefits of never shooting a sow with cubs, of which many good ones have been mentioned already.