• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Building a new shanty

Gissert

I decided I needed a perm shack again. My neighbor and I are building this one together.

So far, we've laid down the frame. 7 x 10 on 4 x 4 skids. It'll have 4 regular angling holes, and a big spear hole on each end. The spear holes will have covers with angling ports in them to bring the total angling holes to eight.

I'll keep posting photos as it progresses.

img4410y.jpg

By gissert, shot with Canon PowerShot A70 at 2009-07-28

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its on the list!

come to the early season Get-to-Gator and you could possibly win one. But if you cant wait that long its understandable or find a guy thats got one and take him out spearing in the new shack grin kind of a win-win for both of ya smile

Got the floor done. 3/8 inch and 19/32 plywood sandwiching one inch foam board. The 4 small holes will have catch covers on them, the large holes will have the removed material on a hinges for covers.

I may upsize the skids - the 4 x 4 looks a little small and a friend pointed out they may push a lot of snow.

The floor is heavy, no doubt, but that is the part that needs to be the strongest. I will start shaving weight when I frame it.

fishhousefloor.jpg

I am not sure how it affects a hole that size; but you might not want to get the top of the floor too far off the ice since it may cut down on your viewing angle, especially later in the season when the ice gets thick.

Having the spear hole higher off the ice has the potential to let more light into the house also. You will have to bank it real good.

Maybe adding temporary skids in addition to the skids you have would work too?

great idea merk I would also make a real strudy hole cover for your spear hole because when you pull it it will load the house up with alot of snow I had a wimp hole cover on one of my shacks and you would'nt belive the amount of snow that came in. so now I just run a few screws in the hole cover and to the floor and cordless drill comes with me on the ice and best of all no snow to sweep out or should I say shovel out.

The spear hole covers will be hinged, with latches to hold them down in transit. Been there and got that t-shirt regarding the holes filling up too. In addition, it'll hee the muskrats out of the shack.

I had an 8 x 12 on som 5 x 5 skids, and the angle was not a problem. I dont spear much after mid January anyway.

I have a flatbed trailer with a winch that I can get the whole works on if need be.

I had an 8 x 12 on som 5 x 5 skids, and the angle was not a problem. I dont spear much after mid January anyway.

That is cool.

I have only speared out of portables so the most my floor is off the ice is 1.5 inches, even with that in late Jan and into Feb that ice gets thick and the viewing angle goes way down.

Good to hear it won't be a problem for ya though.

It sure would be nice to have a perm (with heat to keep the hole open)!!!

Merkman- Not sure if you have an ice saw or not, but if you do, you can angle it away from your hole and saw off a good chunk of the ice when it's thick. You kind of have to cut straight into the ice (perpendicular to the edge) and then turn the saw so you're going parallel with your hole. I'm not sure if that's a good way of explaining it or not. It takes more time and work but you're able to see more also.

yeah that works too.

Code:
Make the sides of the hole like this [side View]

---------          ----------
--------/          \---------
-------/            \--------
------/              \-------
-----/                \------
----/                  \-----
---/                    \----
--/                      \---

Instead of like this  [side View]

--                ---------
--|              |---------

Originally Posted By: merkman*

yeah that works too.

Code:
Make the sides of the hole like this [side View]

---------          ----------
--------/          \---------
-------/            \--------
------/              \-------
-----/                \------
----/                  \-----
---/                    \----
--/                      \---

Instead of like this  [side View]

--                ---------

Merk you can cut my for spearing anytime if it looks like your drawing laughlaughlaugh