• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what to use to make my boots & backpack scent free again?

i wore my muck boots quite a bit while fishing this spring and i know they could use a good scrubing before bow season. i was thinking of using a baking soda mixture with warm water and scrub them up inside and out and then let them sit out on the deck to dry before putting them into my hunting clothes container. anyone have any helpful tips or secrets to get my boots and backpack in hunting condition again?

There's many good unscented soaps out there that would clean them right up. I routinely put my backpack through the washer along with my hunting clothes.

After a washing, throw them in a plastic bag with a bunch of cut up fresh pine boughs. Pine fresh!

A buddy did this and everything in the bag turned moldy. I'll take no scent over that kind of cover-up scent any day.

baking soda and water or the scent killer detergent and then leave them out for a couple of weeks or a month. That's what I do with my stuff where we live in the woods. Leave the clothes and boots, etc. in an open rubbermaid for weeks and put the cover if it rains. Seems to work fine.

after washing with baking soda and letting them completely dry, couldn't you throw them in the freezer for a couple days and have the mold and mildew freeze to death? It works with my sandals and crocs, why wouldn't that work with muck boots, there is no leather in them right?

Simple easy method that works in the feild relatively well is find some gopher mounds, or just dig a shallow hole enough to put the boots into and cover each one with dirt, you can do this with the back pack as well. Let it sit over night and pull them out the next day and you will have scent free fresh earth backpack and boots. The moisture in the soil will drive the scent into the fabric. If you want to get really into it spray the items down lightly with scent killer and then bury them. Try it and you will see it works well:)

Tunrevir~