• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Overload springs/shocks??

traveler

Question

I picked up a 98 Explorer with a V-8 for a 3rd vehicle; we use it for errands, short trips, fishing, etc...I meant to use it to tow my heavier glass boat (20 ft. 150hp) and figured the V-8 would be up to it, even if not ideal. So sat. when I hooked it up for the first time i was surprised to see the rear end very visably sag under the weight. So I need to beef it up some...extra leafs will run me about 300, stiffen the ride a bit. Any other/cheaper suggestions?? Again, it's a limited use vehicle so theres a cheaper route...thanks

8 answers to this question

Try Timbren Suspension Enhancement System. About $200 and you can do it yourself with standard tools. I put it on my 98 k1500 and it made a ton of difference. Whne not towing it is same as normal. When load goes on, the rubber kicks in and keeps from sagging, but still lets the shocks and axle do their thing.

Good luck.

I just ordered a set of Monroe Sensa Trac load adjusting rear shocks for my F150. They are designed to support an additional 1200 lbs of weight per the description. They also say they will not effect the ride quality. I will see I guess. For $100 for the pair did not seem bad. They basically have a coil spring installed around the shock for additional weight. I know shocks are not supposed to support addional weight if you have the stud that sticks out from the frame, but on the newer F150's they have bolts that attatch to the supports rather than the studs.

I have a 97 Explorer (5.0 V8). It is fitted with an air ride suspension and have no issues pulling a 1775 Pro V. Maybe some sort of after-market air shocks in the rear would help out in a situation like yours.

Maybe you need to think about how much tongue weight you have. Shouldn't that truck be able to handle the 5-600 lbs max that the setup should be adding? There's a formula someplace on how to calculate what is the right weight.