• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Larger than entry level boats?

fishingguy

I started a thread a week or 2 ago on entry level boats. After test driving a few I have decided to spend a little more and go bigger. Lunkers, classic deluxes and rebels for example are nice, but I noticed that size boat is a bit unstable on winder days.

So what are your guys thoughts on the next level of boats? My budget will allow me to look at late 80's to early, mid 90's. I realize the bigger the motor the more money. So I'd be looking for something in the 30hp to 50hp. I'm not brand loyal, and don't want to start a debate on the best brand. Any thoughts or recomendations are greatly appreciated!!

We had an '87 Alumacraft Competitor 16 CS with a 90 Merc. This was simply an awesome boat. Deep V, so cut through the waves, enough power to ski and cruise with loaded boat, but still pretty easy on gas and not a huge boat.

Might be a bit larger than you mentioned, but I know that this age boat is about in the $4000 range, give or take. Easy to handle with one person, but also can fish 3 out of it VERY comfortably, or even 4 or 5, as we used to do occassionally.

It has higher sides than many similar sized boats, but not as high as a tyee or those larger boats.

We had great luck with it. On Lunds side, I believe the Renegade is the similar sized boats, and they are nice too.

I know they had these boats in tiller version as well (on Alumacrafts, just take the "CS" (Console Steering) off the model and it is their tiller version.

Another boat I am familiar with is the Sylvan, but can't recall the model, possibly Sea Monster or something like that. Buddy had one with a Merc 50 (great motor!, the Classic 50). The Sylvan sat high in the water and was deeper than Lunkers, but not as nice ride or quality of the Competitor. It did the job, but just not as good quality, IMO.

You can't go wrong with the Merc 50 though! They are a bit thirsty for their size, but troooooooooll perfect and smoothly and all day long, and start no matter what. You will want more than just a 6 gallon tank if you are on big water wink

Good luck!

Rather than pump my favorite brand, I'll throw in my experience in general. By all means, go for the longest hull your budget will allow, up to 18' or so. The longer hulls will handle much better in terms of high speed handling, handling rough water, and general fishability. The extra room you get by going from 16' to 17' in the same boat design is substantial. Also, get the most motor you can afford. If you are looking for a tiller motor, you cannot beat the old 4 cyl Mercury's like their "Classic 50". With 4 little cylinders purring away and it's small diameter prop, it is hard to beat for trolling even with today's technology. It's drawback is that it is quite thirsty.

Good luck in your search!

I bought a used g3 16'5 sport series with a 60 horse yamha tiller on it about a month ago. So far been realy happy with the boat. Been on lake of the woods in some real rough stuff and it seemed to handle it real well. The g3 seems to be less expensive copared to say a lund. The resaon i bought a g3 seemed to get alot of boat for the money.

I started a thread a week or 2 ago on entry level boats. After test driving a few I have decided to spend a little more and go bigger. Lunkers, classic deluxes and rebels for example are nice, but I noticed that size boat is a bit unstable on winder days.

So what are your guys thoughts on the next level of boats? My budget will allow me to look at late 80's to early, mid 90's. I realize the bigger the motor the more money. So I'd be looking for something in the 30hp to 50hp. I'm not brand loyal, and don't want to start a debate on the best brand. Any thoughts or recomendations are greatly appreciated!!

You better plan on a bigger motor, or you will be sorely disappointed. The next size up (17'-18') requires a motor in the 75+ range. Many guys are running 90-115hp motors on those boats.

A good rule of thumb, NEVER go below 75%-80%% of the max hp rating of the boat.

BYW: I think will be more satisfied going to a bigger rig than what you started out looking at. Boats shrink once out on the lake smile

- WIWF

Thanks to everyone for your advice and experiences with all my boat questions in a couple different posts.

I have bought a boat. An alumacraft competitor w/ 70 evinrude. It is 20 years old, but fit my budget and is over all in good condition. Should fit my need very well. Thanks again for all your help!!