• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod Holders-

Apex

Question

I just purchased a brand new fiberglass boat and planning to put rod holders in it. I wanted to do the powerlock scotty's w/ flush mounts but have a problem because they will mainly be used for musky fishing. I am worried that the heavy hits throughout the years will make the fiberglass/gel coat crack where the bolts go. I also don't want to put them i the back where I cant rip the weeds off. What do most of you guys use? or think?

13 answers to this question

I have rails with Ram mounts on my glass boat and am very happy with the set up. One of the nice things about rails (I have 48") is you can mover the holders if you decide you want to. You can also replace them with other brands of mounts. Once you mount directly to the glass this is pretty much the brand and placement you are stuck with.

If you don't have rails to mount the rod holders to then the side mounts would most likely be the way to go as Perchjerker mentioned. I have Scotty rail mounts in the rear and side mounts in the front. I would think they could take some pretty good abuse by the way they are constructed and most of the shock would probably happen at the lock area of the holder where it rotates and not the base. Scotty's are great rod holders.

The only things I worry about the Traxstechs is that they wont be mounted right next to me and they seem if fish is wild they might get the road out of the rod holder?

traxtech manufactures the track system that the rod holders fit into. down-east is the brand of rod holders that they market along with their track systems. down-east are the only choice for me, of rod holders for musky fishing. down-east are easy to ues, and along with the track system are very adjustable for all rod positions that you will need while trolling. the track comes in various lengths from 6 inches to 8 feet so you should be able to make something work in your boat............tom fellegy

I bought 2 Scotty's Cabelas side mounts for my fiberglass w/o rails.

I'm wondering where everyone mounts them? Behind the main seats or right behind the windshield so you can grab it while sitting in the chairs?

Also, I'm thinking of pre-drilling(electrical tape) and using self tapping screws.

Thanks, it's a big deal for me to drill into my boat!

Best thing to do is grab a rod and position it as if it were in the holder in different spots around the boat and see if it'll interfere with anything. Personally I would mount them behind the seats, otherwise you'll have the butt of the rod right in your way if it's behind the windshield.

I put 4 flush mount scottys in my fiberglass boat w/o rails. Yes, it was painful drilling 1" holes in the deck...but it's by far the nicest mounting system in my situation, as the mounts don't stick out and snag things (peoples legs, line, whatever) like side mounts would. I'd do the exact same thing again:)