• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas/oil mixture

igotworms

40:1 or 50:1 either one will work but I would stick to the low end. i have a 59' johnson seahorse and I heard to run the between 40:1 and 50:1 but again try to keep in closer to 40:1. the worst you can do the foul plugs.

I'm thinking your 6 hp is probably a late 60s or early 70s model, and if so, it should be OK at 50:1. If I remember correctly, the old 1950s and early 60s Johnsons and Evinrudes called for a 24:1 ratio, but all they had for 2 cycle oil back then was 30w non-detergent motor oil. The oils they formulate for 2 strokes are much better oils now. I ran a mid-60s Johnson 75 hp V-4 for a number of years in the 1990s and I remember I always mixed 4 ounces of oil per gallon (I think that figures out to 32:1 ratio). Must have worked, because that motor is still running today - I know because my daughter owns it now, and it still runs like a top... grin

It's always better to run more oil than less. If you are intent on running your motor prior to finding out the actual year, run it at 24:1. Otherwise, find the motor number and type it into the internet. You'll probably find specs for the gas/oil ratio.

Someone brought up the idea of an oil measuring container and I can't seem to find one. Anyone know where I can pick up one of these?

Go to a motorcycle shop. Most will probably have them. The brand I have is called a ratio rite. They're about $5.