• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

shipping mounted walleye?

slick2526

I just got my walleye mount back and im moving to a different state soon. I dont want to bring my mount in my car and would prefer to have it sent to me. What is the best way as far a packaging to send this? should i just a regular box and packing peanuts? just looking for some suggestions.

i work for UPS and see alot of mounts that are shipped.... cause the boxes break open. but the best way i have seen them shipped is build a 2by4 frame that goes on the inside of the box you plan on using to ship. put a thin peice of plywood on the back mount the fish to that side then fill it with packing peanuts.

iceman

Is that you shawn? I heard the best way to ship a fish is to drink a case of Kokanee and stuff the fish in the box. Hope you can make it back to MuskieBay again this year, what a blast that was. If you make it up to LOW anytime look me up.

thats me. i left the case of kokanee part out haha. i am hoping to be up on LOW this summer i am fishing in the MTT this year and hoping to qualify for the championship. missed a couple tournys but i will be fishing the last of the tournys and one is a double points weekend. so i might be up pre fishing. i will for sure be back up at musky bay again this year i had to much fun up there this year and i might have a couple of buddies joining me after they saw some of the videos i brought home. hey Buschpilot for the life of me i cant remember your name? maybe with was the cases of kokanees and molson that Paul keep putting in our face? nice to hear from ya hope everything is well with ya.

iceman

I would take it in the car. We all know UPS throws boxes around, and no amount of packing is going to save your mount. Yes, box it with packing peanuts in a box, but if you want it to arrive in 1 piece, take it with you.

Hi Slick, Start with a STURDY cardboard box and hotglue the inside flaps to the floor of the box. Cut a piece of 3/8" plywood to fit on the floor of the box and hotglue in place. The fish should already have a block of wood inside the body on the back side. Run several deck screws through the bottom of the box, through the plywood, and into the wood block in the back of the fish. Place foam rubber under the fish between it's back and the plywood. Make sure that any part of the fish is not too close the the sides of the box. Carefully place a thin plastic bag over the fish. I use the kind used to cover floral arrangements. Then fill the box with packing peanuts. Bump the box lightly on the floor to settle the peanuts and add more. You want enough peanuts to slightly dome the top of the box as they'll settle in transit. I like to hotglue the box shut too, as it helps to shore it up much better than tape alone. Liberally tape the sealed box all the way around, and you're good to go. If you can keep the size to under 108" girth plus length, I'd use USPS priority mail, insured with delivery confirmation. I've shipped countless fish using this method with great results.

One word of caution. Don't use the bio-degradable peanuts, only use the styrofoam ones. In very humid weather, or if moisture gets inside the box, they can stick to your fish causing damage to the paint job.