• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Float for Vexilar Transducer

addicted

Question

21 answers to this question

addicted,
You can have mine I hate it! It is a fish tangleing magnet then every time you take it out of the hole I end up banging the transducer on the ice and shortening the life of the crystals. Seriously I will give it to ya if you want. I will be at the vikes game Sunday and at the ice show the next Saturday or you can pay for the shipping and I'll send it to you it is mint!

[email protected]

Chiro - Your right about that float it's useless that's why I bought an ice box for mine. The float lasted one trip and that was it. Bluegills love to play ring around the rosie with it. Lost a couple nice crappie thanks to that float. My float is brand new too...
If you need a soft case for an econo pack too, you can have that, its useless. You might recognize it. It's nylon blue/clear view window and zips and a hazard if you have a light mounted on the side of it. I was thinking about it one day when I was out of toilet paper grin.gif

CNY Tim, I am interested in bag, but now after reading about toilet paper....I don't know !!!! I wouldn't like to find some "other" color than blue on it... grin.gif
Let me know how much do you want for it.

CNY Tim,
I used to just hang the ducer down the edge of the hole but, still the frisky gills make a mess of it so I tried the little plastic arm and I love it, works great, level and no more tangles! Hey, why don't you like the softpack...I was thinking of picking one up at the Ice Show?

I have the float, but probably will just take it off this season, because I anchor the cord under the unit, which sits to the side of the hole and pulls the cord tight against that side of the hole. And I make sure the ducer is as tight against the bottom of the ice as it can get and still hang free. I rarely get tangled, even with sunnies going in circles. When I do, I just pull up the whole works and haven't lost but a couple fish that way. It helps to have a 10-inch hole, though.

One hint. When fish take the bait, they usually run off toward deeper water, so I always anchor the cord toward the shallow end.

The reason I do not like the bag is the balance of the nylon bag because of the nylon carrying strap and the location of the handle make the unit tip when being transported from hole to hole.
If you want the best application for you vex the Genz blue box or a facsimile there of is perfect. I am not to keen on kinking or adding weight on my transducer cord. You have to love and care for your units so that it provides you long service, you all know they ain't cheap.

What I like about the ice box is it's fully, functional with a large battery compartment that you can insulate around the battery and under the battery I use polystyrene and I painted the top of the styrofoam that is exposed to the sun black to retain any heat from sunlight. It will help you maintain more overall battery life and hold the charge longer.
Another feature I like is the oversized handle plenty of room even if you wear choppers to pick-up your unit and move it easily and it's perfectly balanced.
Easy to clean, not like the bag when you have ice and snow built up after a long day on the ice.
The eye arm can be adjusted up to 3.5" away from the base unit and uses gravity to level.
When I have a fish on and I want to move the ice box set up,lift and move, nice and easy when I had the bag it would tip, pitch and just about roll over.
What I don't like about the icebox is the price at $35 way to much. There is a market out there for a similar product at a affordable price. If you can build your own it will save you some money. A friend of mine made one out of wood and it lasted 9 years.
I hope this information helps, Good luck...

[This message has been edited by CNY Tim (edited 11-27-2002).]

The float, I think, is only a good thing if you have a separate hole drilled for it to sit in otherwise the fish get tangled up in it. I have the blue ice box with an eyelet bolt coming out of the front of it. I run the ice ducer cord through that and I have a stopper that fits right into that eyelet hole which holds the cord but as an added stopper I use a clothes pin to hold the cord onto the box. Would you like my floaty? You can have it.

-----------

Hey! Your bobbers gone! shocked.gif

Fishn'Lady

If you have a Vex case get the dangle arm and skip the float. The float is only about $2 if you really need one.

Vex had some foam ducer floats that would sink slow under the weight of the ducer, they were just too short or bad foam or something crazy like that? I had one so I called them and they sent me a new one in 2 days, "Bada-Bing-Bada-Boom" new float...no charge. So, use that little tip as you may. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 11-27-2002).]

And the winnner is...........................
"Screwedgoose" The competition was close and thank you for playing.

Things are getting nice and cold in Upstate NY, saw some shoreline ice edging and the ponds off the lake had a thin sheet.

Get it replaced. Contact the factory for a replacement.

I wouldn't worry about fish getting tangled in it. Any able bodied person with a minimal amount of effort can reach down and remove the transducer from the hole if they have a concern with tangling up with the float. But wait a minute, wouldn't the transducer be subgect to tangling even sans the float. If one loses an ocassional fish..well you can always catch it again.

Well we worry about it in NY rarely will I ever have under a 100 bluegill day and it makes a difference when your working a pod of shallow first ice gills. I like the fact that my fixed arm keeps my transducer secured, not like the foam float which after you catch a fish tends to bob around the hole like it has a mind of it's own. Save your back get a fixed arm like on an ice box and submerge the transducer only a couple inches in shallow water less than 10' and ice under 6".

I drilled a hole in the front of my Vex black case and screwed an eye hook into it like the Blue Box has to hold the transducer. If anyone wants my brand new float they can have it. I also have two new Vex black round cases/holders that I don't use if anyone is looking for one.

Well Kevin, as able bodied as I am, I don't feel it necessary to remove the transducer every time. Without the float it is less likely for a fish to get tangled because the cord can be run right along the ice and the weight of the transducer keeps it in place. But, with the float on it sticks out from the ice and bobs around so it is more likely for a fish to get behind it and tangle it. Once I quit using the float I RARELY have any problems with fish tangling. Just my two cents from this able bodied fisher woman.

-------------

Hey! Your bobbers gone! shocked.gif

Fishn'Lady

[This message has been edited by Fishn'Lady (edited 11-30-2002).]

Yes addicted,
Any able bodied person can bend over and pull the float out, screw around fighting a fish away from the float, set up so your fish run away from your float or hire someone to set there and monitor what your giant piece of styrofoam is doing while your trying to fish OR............you could just loose the float and concentrate on the fish catching grin.gif

bigeyes
It is the Vex model P-160 case. Yes it will fit in a five gal. pail, but it's not accually a box. It has a battery compartment in the back and has a platform in the front to mount the Vex onto. It retails for about 30.00 but if you send me an e-mail we will work out a shipping cost and I'll send it to you (I'm from Michigan). [email protected]