• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lure Colors

Do you guys have any advice on lure colors for a newbie fishing muskies on Tonka? I am used to picking up several colors for bass but when lures are going for $20 a pop, I would like to focus on a couple key colors. I am thinking about walleye (something brown), black, and firetiger.

Based on the advice I got another thread, here's what I am thinking:

Bull Dawg - Walleye

Double Cowgirl - Black / Chartreuse

Double Showgirl- Brass/Brown

Top Raider - Black / Chartreuse

Phantom Softail - Walleye or Crappie

Thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

I'd say right now it doesn't matter, sooner or later(probably sooner) you'll have every color you want and don't need. It's a terrible addiction, I hope it doesn't happen to you but it probably will. I'm sure some of the big tonka guys can give you a good idea of where to start exactly though.

black bucktail with chrome or nickel blades is an easy enough color choice.

Nothing wrong with those choices. Color is more of a confidence issue more than anything in my opinion. Basically you want more natural looking colors for clear water situations, and bright colors for stained water. Hard to dislike anything in all black. I believe tonka is fairly clear, so more natural colors is probably the ticket. Match the forage colors for tonka.

Make sure you buy a quality leader. I'm a big fan of Stealth leaders 150# and 130# flouro, and they make a sweet jerkbait leader for your phantom. Good luck.

On tonka I like bright colors just to get a reaction bite. They see so many lures that I like make the mad. I like Pink/Pink, Sherbert, and White/Red. For your standards, Black and Nickle, Firetiger. I always pick something with a bit of contrast so they can zero in on it. It is all a confidence thing though. Vibration and profile have more to do with it than color.

For tonka, Bucktails (double blade and single blade), Spinner baits and topwater.

Well, if my bass addiction is any indication, I am sure I will have a bucket of lures soon enough. I have so many plastics and lures that a good portion of them have yet to get wet.

Thanks for the color recs guys. The guys at Thorne bros suggested black as an easy enough confidence bait. I know there are walleye and crappie in there so I was going for those natural colors to match the forage. I'll try to pick up some wilder colors to be different.

One last thing on the leader, the boys at Thorne bros also suggested I use steel leaders for my jerkbaits and flouro for everything else. Is this what you guys do?

I'm starting season 2 on a 150# Steatlh with no issues yet. I kinda like the flouro for some glides but jerk's are still solid wire 174#. I have never fished Tonka yet but fish ultra clear water, walleye, black/silver, firetiger, gold and citron are my best producers, and orange/black.

My nickle/nickle/silver rainbow baby girl has seen a lot of action this spring. The flashabou won't last one season at this rate... I always use something bright that covers water fast early in the season, then when I find a fish I'll throw other things at the fish, and structure similar to where I found a fish.

Choc Toc, as far as what I throw out there, you are right on with your selections.

Phantom question-caught fish on both walleye and crappie. Alot more on walleye, but as was stated before I believe action and contrast are more important than color.

Leaders-I remember another thread on this from this year you may want to search. Noones wrong on this one as long as you get over 120#. Concept is flouro will get wrapped up on jerk/glide baits because it bends.

Tonka goes from dark water (actually pea green) on the west in Halsteads Bay and gets clearer as you move east to Grays Bay.

Topwater, bucktail and phantom is what we'll be starting with.

Feel free to stop by and say hi if you see us out there. White catamaran style bass boat with a red Rapala sticker on the side.

PostFrontal, will stop by and say hello if I see you guys. I'll be cruising around in a fishing pontoon (yeah I know, I really wanted a bass boat but when I put my family on it, we were too cramped. So, I went the pontoon route for more versatility). I like the west side a little better, reminds me of the waters I fished out east. Plus, I avoid all the traffic and jet skiers on the east side.

Thanks for the tips on the colors, everyone. Looks like I can keep it to a minimum and cage that bait monkey a little.