• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fireline question

Been using Fireline for bass and walleye, only way to go. Use Palomar knot never a breakoff at knot. One thing I do not like is new Fireline does not slip out smooth for Lindy rigging. I take older line off my bass rods that has had hours of casting water exposure and super limp and use that for rigging. I even splice with a uni to keep reel full.

I am trying some fireline crystal this year and it seems to work good. I still like using mono just because one year we were out fishing in SD, and the guys using mono were catching fish. The guys using fireline could not get a bite for some reason. When they switched to mono they started catching fish.

I had a problem with fireline. I put 10/4 on a baitcaster once per a salespersons recommendation for trolling cranks. It busted numerous times if I chose to cast. I use mostly power pro.

i have fireline on pretty much every rig i own i love the stuff have had very few issuse, only one i have had was when i was ice fishing i didnt put mono on my reels for a backing so it didnt work to good but i put a backing on and works great

I love the stuff for casting, for jigging I use 6lb mono. I've had more than one situation where walleyes wouldn't hit fireline tied on directly. We tied on a mono leader and problem solved.

I went with Fireline crystal on all my ice rods and trolling rod and won't look back. But I've been using 6# Gamma clear for 3 or 4 years now on my rigging and jigging rods and won't switch. Landed wallys to 29 1/2", 4 sturgeon to 47" and a 40" gator and it held up great. And that was on the same spool in 1 week.

I've used fireline for everything for about 10 years now. No complaints. I tried lindy rig fishing with mono and it felt like I was fishing with a rubber band. I dont lose any sinkers with fireline and I can tell with 99% accuracy if Im getting a snag or a bite, I cant do that with mono. I do use a 14 lb test mono leader on my lindy rigs.

14lb mono? Geez, I never use anything bigger than 6 on my leaders. I've never been a big fan of fireline for eyes. I use it on my pike/muskie/sturgeon rods and I have it on a couple of my bass rods, but I mainly use mono. I usually don't have a problem detecting bites, and I just like the feel of it more. Also, it does frey alot easier than mono, and I don't like changing my line every other time I go out when the stuff's $15 a spool.

I think it boils down to the fact that I've used mono since I started fishing, gotten comfortable with it, and I'm stuck in my ways.

14lb mono? Geez, I never use anything bigger than 6 on my leaders. I've never been a big fan of fireline for eyes. I use it on my pike/muskie/sturgeon rods and I have it on a couple of my bass rods, but I mainly use mono. I usually don't have a problem detecting bites, and I just like the feel of it more. Also, it does frey alot easier than mono, and I don't like changing my line every other time I go out when the stuff's $15 a spool.

I think it boils down to the fact that I've used mono since I started fishing, gotten comfortable with it, and I'm stuck in my ways.

Ive had the same spools of fireline on my bass rods from last year (20 on my senko rods) (30 on jig/x-rap rods)

Ive never had a fray thats broke off on any of my walleye rods (20 lb) in 10 years.

YES 14 lb leaders, Those rainy lake pigs have big teeth!