• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How much is motor worth? Evinrude '97 115

AaronM

Looking to trade in my Evinrude Intruder outboard. Year is '97 HP is 115. I bluebooked the value and got an average retail of $1,400, but here is my question. Lower unit was replaced in 2007. New VRO gas pump installed in 2006. Starter just replaced this year. Does that increase or decrease the worth of the motor? It runs well, pushes my Pro V with myself in it at 48 MPH tested on two GPS's. Whats its actual worth and am I better trading in at a dealer or selling independent? Thanks for any help!

I have to believe you can get more than $1400 for that motor.

Controls included right?

It depends on what the dealer will give you on trade in, which is usually pretty low and if the difference in money and the hassle of selling it out-right is worth it to you.

Normally new parts don't add to the value but are good selling points.

The new lower unit however is much more then just a part and would definitely be a big + to a potential buyer.

I've found bluebook on outboards to be ridiculously under valued. If this outboard is in good condition and runs well then your not asking enough IMO. A 40 hp of the same year would fetch $1400.

You can get more selling it outright, you just have to wait for a buyer.

I agree with the above sentiments... you will come out further ahead selling it outright, the question is if you're willing to wait until the right person comes along to purchase it... which, with a loose motor, can be very quick or very long.

I think you could get a little more than $1400 for it, maybe 1600? But, it's all about finding the right buyer.

With respect to parts... the parts you list are kind of a double edge sword.

You could tell them that you replaced the VRO pump, but for me, the next question will be why? Wasn't it mixing the oil properly? Any idea how long it wasn't working right? Could there be engine damage?

The same thing goes for the lower unit... unless you replaced it for reasons other than hitting something.

IMHO, I'd put it up for sale, and to start, wouldn't mention the parts you replaced. Depending on the buyer, and how things are going with said buyer, you could chose to reveal that information at a later time. Maybe what I'm trying to say I'd hold off putting that information in a post - I think you'll get more hits off not posting that, and if they ask about the VRO pump for instance, you could offer then that you've already replaced it.

marine_man

Sounds good. Thanks much for the help, I'll be calling around to see if I can't find a dealer who'd get me a fair price..if not looks like I might be selling it myself. Thanks again!

I agree with the above sentiments... you will come out further ahead selling it outright, the question is if you're willing to wait until the right person comes along to purchase it... which, with a loose motor, can be very quick or very long.

I think you could get a little more than $1400 for it, maybe 1600? But, it's all about finding the right buyer.

With respect to parts... the parts you list are kind of a double edge sword.

You could tell them that you replaced the VRO pump, but for me, the next question will be why? Wasn't it mixing the oil properly? Any idea how long it wasn't working right? Could there be engine damage?

The same thing goes for the lower unit... unless you replaced it for reasons other than hitting something.

IMHO, I'd put it up for sale, and to start, wouldn't mention the parts you replaced. Depending on the buyer, and how things are going with said buyer, you could chose to reveal that information at a later time. Maybe what I'm trying to say I'd hold off putting that information in a post - I think you'll get more hits off not posting that, and if they ask about the VRO pump for instance, you could offer then that you've already replaced it.

marine_man

I hope I don't end up buying something from you someday...

Be up front about everything, and put it out on hsolist. Thats a great motor and would be a great upgrade for someone.

I think what he trying to say is wait until you have an opportunity to explain the history to a potential buyer rather than post an ad making it sound as though you are selling a motor plaged with problems. I find nothing wrong with expaining the history and facts once you've established contact with a potential buyer. He's not suggesting hiding or lying about anything.

I'm not advocating covering anything up or not disclosing anything...

Too often though I see or hear of people who aren't getting any interest in what they have for sale... there's absolutly nothing wrong with this motor... but the average joe sometimes looks at this add, says, wow... that's a lot of parts to replace, I'd better pass, without ever getting the details.

marine_man