• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

family tent

blarkey

I bought a Kelty Green River 6 last spring. They make awesome family tents. Check out brands like Kelty, REI, Mountain Hardwear, Sierra Designs.

Find one you like and search the internet. I checked around and saved a few hundred dollars. Its worth a 1/2 hour to save a few hundred on a great tent. Most internet sites have free shipping on purchases over $100.

Lots of things go into how you decide that question. My family is 2 adults, 2 kids and a 40lb dog. We use a 4person tent that is designed for backpacking. Its lightweight, extremely sturdy and has a full coverage fly with double vestibules.

Other people want 3 rooms, a screen porch, room for cots and tables....all inside the tent.

As a side note, if you like the tent you have, a zipper and fairly easy fix. Tent repairs are not that uncommon and you could save lots of money by not buying a new tent. Of course, if you finally got a reason to buy a new tent, then go for it!!!

I second powerstroke! I recently bought a REI base camp 4 person. The tent works awesome for me my wife and are 5 year old! ... ohh yah and a ugly pug! If weight is a deciding factor of your tent .. i would not get the base camp with its weight of 16 pounds. We only use are base camp for drive in, cart in or short walk in sites and have a light wieght tent for backpacking. The tent is very very sturdy and waterproofing great with its full rain fly we had a week ago in bad storm and it was one of the only tents left uncripled from the wind in the campground! My .02 $

I just bought an rei kingdom 4. Its a 4 person tent (they also make a kingdom 6)This is my second rei brand tent and I have nothing but good things to say. Im 6'-3" and can almost stand all the way up in mine, it has a large vestibule for storage, and more convenient pockets than I know what to do with. I can set it up in under 10 minutes by myself, and the pole/hub system and easy color coated straps make it foolproof to set up. The best thing about rei is that they stand by anything they sell, if your unhappy they always make it right. the kingdom 4 starts around 300 bucks, but you buy it once and dont have to hassle with problems or returns.

I've never used any REI tents but know many people who have. Everyone's comments reflect what Mule has said. Everyone I know that has used any REI tent rants and raves about how great they are. They all seem eager to buy another REI tent.

Check out MooseJaw dot com. They rund some pretty good deals and have free shipping on orders over $50 (or used to anyways) and often times have customer reviews on products. I bought a Mountain Hardwear last spring and love it. Those are more backpacking than family though. I have heard excellent things about REI tents as well.