Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Catmendo

Song birds flying into WINDOWS!!!

8 posts in this topic

This is an age old problem, but that doesn't mean seeing the aftermath of seeing a beautiful bird lying dead beneath a window!!! mad

In the past three days I have witnessed terribly sad situation unfold on "one" window here at the resort. The first bird to meet an untimely death was a male American Redstart. Then this morning upon my arrival, there lay a beautiful male Common Yellowthroat!!! mad

I just finished hanging a small wind chime, maybe this will alert the birds about the pending danger.

Any other suggestions at this time would be greatly appreciated!

On a much brigther note, I had some awesome results through the lens this. Pic's to come soon...

I hear ya! I've had two do that in the last 12 hours, both however appear to have survived. Last night I believe it was a yellow warbler, she lay in the grass for a few minutes and then was gone, this morning something smacked into the screen on the porch while I was reading the paper. It flew away immediately, I imagine screens are less deadly, although I have little beak holes in several of the screens. Let me know if the chime helps.

I had a roughed grouse smash into my siding just below my big picture window last weekend. Poor thing bit the dust too, I haven't seen any of my smaller birds hit any of my windows yet this year though. I hung two feeders in front of that window though and haven't had any problems with it since. It didn't help that ol grouse though.

I had the same problem. I picked up a product called window alert, you can find these on the web, I got mine at a local wild bird supply store. They are decals that go on the windows that are hard to see from the inside but are supposed to be very visible to birds from the outside, reflecting UV sunlight. No bird has hit the windows in the 2 weeks since I put them on my 2 windows they had been colliding with. The decals I got look like hummimgbirds, they have others that look like leaves. They supposedly come off easily with no residue when you want to replace them.

I had the same problem. I picked up a product called window alert, you can find these on the web, I got mine at a local wild bird supply store. They are decals that go on the windows that are hard to see from the inside but are supposed to be very visible to birds from the outside, reflecting UV sunlight. No bird has hit the windows in the 2 weeks since I put them on my 2 windows they had been colliding with. The decals I got look like hummimgbirds, they have others that look like leaves. They supposedly come off easily with no residue when you want to replace them.

Thanks. I hate to have those hawk sihlouettes handing in my windows. I've got enough hawks as it is. This sounds much better.

I probably should have mentioned that the decals go on the outside of the window panes, but the packaging likely mentions that. CH

I've been told that birds will see the reflection of trees and leaves in your very clean window and think they are landing in the actual thing. I find using mini-blinds while the sun is bright has really reduced the bird hitting windows. I've even used old CD's to reflect the birds and used hawk decals, which seem to work also.

But when birds are fleeing a predator, they sometimes don't look where they are going and the outcome is not pretty. It's sad, but think the positive, you are feeding, watering, and providing nesting area and materials for thier survival. Hopefully the increase in population will overcome the accidental decrease.

Mike

hey this sounds very good!! I have had a few birds hit our windows too, but it's rare,, I haven't got a feeder set up yet, hence my frustration with not having a feeder to take shots of,, (soon I hope) but my neighbour does, and I noticed that she has ribbon taped to the outsides of her windows that have quite a "tail" so they move around in the breeze.