• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

weird honker

MN Shutterbug

I'm in Kentucky right now, and ran across this strange goose at a NWR. It's got to be a Canada goose because his wife is in the second pic. An Old timer I talked to says he has never seen a Canada that looked quite like this either. He also told me that this female sat on this same nest last year, with no luck. This year, she has been on her nest every day for 2 months. Something isn't quite right.

3527318440_f733483fd1_o.jpg

3526507495_e48cdb58ac_o.jpg

Looks like it could be a mix of a snow or blue goose. It might even be a cross with a spec. The bill looks like a snow. It might be a domestic goose. I have shot some weird cross breeds before and that one looks like it is cross bred.

We've got one like that on the Mississippi here in Minneapolis, too. He seems to have no luck keeping a mate or raising gooslings either. I'll have to have a closer look at his bill, to see what the color is, but best guess is a sterile hybrid, a mule, like was suggested. That happens more often in the wild than most realize.

Kentucky? Kentucky!

Dude, pay no attention to Jackie's banjos. "Deliverance" wasn't set in Kentucky anyway. winkwinksmilesmilegringrin

You are in a photographer's paradise right now. Hope you're getting some full CF cards. I'm especially interested in seeing some photographs of he!!benders and sirens. Don't get those nasty things up here in the boreal forest. Heck, long as you're down there, I bet you are busy noodling for flathead catfish. gringringrin

Wild geese and some dabbling ducks seem to interbreed with domestics pretty darn easily. To me, that means the domesticated varieties haven't evolved too far from their wild ancestors. If you can cross a wolf with a dog, you can cross a wild goose/duck with a domesticated goose/duck.

Whether the resulting goose and duck crosses are sterile or fertile I don't know, but often in the animal world an individual that looks quite different has a hard time being accepted, so it may simply be that the oddball can't find a willing mate. Hmmm, not so different from the human world, when you think about it. winkwink