• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baitwell reciculation

nater

Question

I got a 1994 Alumacraft Competitor last fall with a livewell on the side and a baitwell in the front. They both fill up when I hit the livewell recirculator, but the baitwell only has the water inlet and then drain plug.

I'm not sure how the baitwell is supposed to recirculate the water. The actual drain plug doesn't really drain when the boat is in the water. So is it supposed to run back "in" the filler hose after it reaches the top? I didn't keep filling it because I didn't want it to overflow by my batteries, etc.

Any info would be great

9 answers to this question

I have a lund with a front baitwell. It has a plastic pipe that fits in the drain so that when the baitwell fills up it overflows and goes down the drain. Since the baitwell is above the waterline it runs downhill into the lake.

Is your baitwell below the water line?

delcecchi - It's above the water level. So does yours overflow directly out the side of the boat? Mine doesn't have that. Just the drain to the back of the boat under the water level and the water inlet. I'm gonna try spraying out the drain to see if its clogged and test it some more, but it seems like a strange system.

In case your curious, it does drain from the baitwell when full back into the livewell. So it doesn't reciculate a whole lot of fresh water. Its a good thing I don't have to keep shiners alive in this baitwell! Maybe just crappie minnows from time to time with my wife.

I added a 12v aerator to my baitwell. I mounted it in a dry location and put a switch on my dash to turn it on and off. I don't have to worry about transporting water anymore since the water I bring from home in the baitwell can go home with me.

Can I jump in with a question??? I have a trophy 170 with a live well, my problem is taking on water... I can't let her sit in the lake over night as she would fill with water!!! I have filled her with a lot of water left all plugs in and she doesn't leak out. Could the areator pumps be lealing water in but not out??? The live well is not leaking as i put no water in it and the boat still takes on water... Tks guys

Sinking ship

Small leaks like that are tough to discover. I would check pumps, fittings, livewell hoses, drain fittings etc. Also your motor lower 2 bolts could be a problem. If you can do it, remove through hull pumps and underwater fittings, and reinstall them adding silicone to the inside and outside of the fitting.

Leaky rivets or small cracks could be a problem too.