Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chirofish

Huge agate or just a cool rock?

10 posts in this topic

Can anyone provide any insight? My grandpa has had it for years in his garden.... Thanks for the help. It weighs 16lb

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

It looks to me like an agate. The characteristics are a little different, but I believe it is... Get it checked at a shop. Either way its a really cool find!!! Way to go!!!

Ive seen what was told to me to be petrified wood that was very similar.

Wow! Awesome colors on that rock regardless of what it is!

Quote:
Ive seen what was told to me to be petrified wood that was very similar.

Same here. My dad had a peice of rock like that in our back yard. I was told it was petrified wood. I am no expert though. Still cool though. smile

The fractures in it remind me of chert or flint confused.

Everything that was pointed out to me as petrified wood didn't have any sort of glossy surface to it. The petrified wood I've seen was always had a dull flat surface. Similar colors but not shinny at all.

I'm probably the last person to ask but I'd lean away from petrified wood.

I believe its petrified wood. My great grandpa had quite the collection in his front yard down in AZ. Those colors are fantastic though! Quite the cool rock!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Ya gotta die of something sooner or later might as well do it with a full tummy!
    • ouch, I would think all would good now, but one never knows.  life is good today is all i know.
    • 33 pounds. nice looking unit but kinda heavy. nice price out there. 
    • Mostly commenting this "sold a bunch of talk, and you believe that talk and vote against your own interests" but I do love it when people assume I am somehow D or R because I make a comment against their beloved party.

• Holiday Bowl isn't too shabby. I wonder if Tracy Claeys is nervous? Last time the gophers played a Mike Leach led team, it cost their coach his job 
    • I'm not in the market for a new auger since purchasing an Ion, but I see FF has a Redback electric auger in their ad. This auger looks similar to the Ion for significantly less money. Does anyone have experience with this auger? Just wanted to bring it up as a possible alternative to those who might be in the  market for an electric. As a side note, I am very happy with the Ion.
    • MLR, how heavy is your house?   After reading your experience I was getting worried. Earlier this summer I swapped out my handles with bolts and gave them a brief trial with my old cordless Dewalt. It was pretty much maxed out and likely not the ticket. Just purchased the Dewalt kit DCK283D2 that is 40% off at FF in hopes it might work. I figured the impact driver would work but didn't really want to be hammering on the gear set. Tried out the drill after work today on low speed and it raises my house easily. My house weighs approximately 3000#. No more hand cranking for me.   Wanted to get the Milwaukee Fuel but couldn't see spending $275 for one drill. This kit is $167 for drill and driver with 2 batteries and charger.
    • I was talking about the heat from the heat exchanger making the fan hot.  With the fan at the top it blows the hot air out the bottom of the heater to help heat the floor.  
  • Our Sponsors