• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stupid question about solo canoes...

So I've been considering the purchase of a solo canoe....and I've been looking at the Discovery, the Pack, and the Stillwater from Old Town. I think I'll go with the Discovery (should I get the Stillwater 12 instead????) because 1) I'm young and the extra pounds won't bug me too much, 2) I'm used to hauling aluminum monster canoes around the BWCA, and 3) I'm poor.

I've been paddling for probably 10 years, and I've never actually seen a solo canoe on the water. I was looking at the canoes (the Pack and the Discovery) and I got to thinking...where is the portage yolk??? And where would you put one...it would be right where you sit?

Please (kindly) disabuse me of my ignorance....

Almost all solo canoes have a detachable carrying yoke of one sort or another. Mine has safety pin type attachments, takes only seconds to put on or take off the canoe.

My first canoe was a Discovery 176, it was always a beast to haul around, even more so as I got older, but I got 20 yrs of great use out of the thing. I've since moved on to a lighter and more expensive canoe. Get something within your budget, you can always upgrade somewhere down the creek. full-552-9673-img_0231.jpg

I had some friends that used to spend a great deal of time in the BW with solo's. They would use kneeling pads and kayak paddles. The hauling advantages of a canoe and some of the speed and agility of a kayak. If you are young I would not worry to much about the wieght. After 20 years of hauling monsters around the BW I finally borke down and went light weight. I can't give specific model advice but it sounds like you are one the right track.

I do need the canoe for the storage...we take monthly trips and need to be able to haul food, gear, etc. The kayak makes that more difficult.

So most solos have a detachable portage yolk? Seems reasonable enough. I assume they're reasonably priced, too.

I am leaning towards the Discovery because it's $400 less than the Pack.

One other question: I've also only paddled aluminum, kevlar, royalex, and the Polylink stuff...never fiberglass. I do a fair amount of river paddling, and I'm a bit concerned about the fiberglass...is this a reasonable concern? Is it tough enough and durable enough to use for 10+ years (assuming I take good care of it, of course)?

DUffman is right. The yoke has to be removable otherwise it would interfere with you while you're paddling.

If you're thinking B-dubs, then I wouldn't even ponder a SOT kayak. Obviously there is no storage and would be impractical in waves.

Have you looked at the Wenonah offerings? The Prism is kinda the all-around solo. They popup occasionally on cragslist and check the Ely outfitters for those selling last years models. Some great deals are to be had and solos don't sell nearly as fast.

Again, get the best you can afford, but remember there will be extras like the yoke, paddles, PFD, license, and some sort of tie downs for hauling it.

You can get a good wenonah canoe for about that much. Probably not kevlar, but a great boat nonetheless.

I was really looking for a Vegabond, but am also pretty interested in their new Fusion canoe.

"New for 2009, the Fusion is a uniquely designed solo canoe blending the best features of both a canoe and kayak for recreation and fishing.

Extra stable, it can be paddled with a double or single blade paddle and its foot controlled rudder makes maneuvering a cinch. The padded high back seat comes standard and allows for hours of comfort.

Lighter, quicker, and more manuverable than any fishing kayaks, the Fusion also runs drier and holds more gear while keeping it all readily accessible. Designed for personal accessorization of rod holders and storage trays for a truly customized craft. Rudder is optional. "

...If you are young I would not worry to much about the wieght. After 20 years of hauling monsters around the BW I finally borke down and went light weight....

Carry around more weight for many years will cause you to wish you hadn't when you reach my age. Back issues are with you for life once they start frown

I'll put my 2 cents in on the Stillwater 12, as I own one.

Been very happy with it. Great lake canoe, very stable. Only 5 lbs or so heavier than the pack. I usually sit on a cooler or something if I'm in it solo. Have no problems standing up in it and casting.

It is fiberglass, which I was a little worried about. But I used it a ton below the dam in St. Cloud, lots of rocks, dragging it around and generally beating on it. Held up great so far.

Only downside is it's not the most maneuverable, being so wide, but overall I've been really happy with it.