• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A flasher for the fiscally responsible!

For the last month or so I’ve had a chance to play around some with my new Marcum VX1 Pro. For those that don’t know or are looking to make such a purchase, this is the entry level price point flasher from the Marcum line of products. The 1000 watt flasher has the bells and whistles but the price won’t nail you during this tough economy. Interference rejection is standard, and there is an automatic bottom zoom of varying levels for each depth setting. Colors are clear and you get Marcum’s industry setting target separation sharpness. The flasher is warranted for a year and a soft pack case is included.

My main flasher is a LX-5, so considering what I’m used to fishing with, I actually was able to use most of the features of the LX-5 (see above comments about standard Marcum features) without compromising too much and saving a nice chunk of change. For me, it’s nice to have a second flasher because I rarely fish alone and when I bring someone with, particularly someone new to ice fishing or someone that needs some help, it would be a little greedy on my part to hog the flasher and not let the other person try it out. Having a second flasher solves those problems, and buying an economical flasher does not hit my pocket book quite so hard.

But enough about the bells and whistles or my motivations, does the unit work? Absolutely. I had a great weekend at Lake of the Woods tangling with a few roaming walleyes and saugers. Being able to see those fish come in when they were often hugging the bottom meant I could identify fish eyeing the bait and close the deal. And being able to knock out the interference of other flashers in use nearby was also helpful. It’s no secret that a flasher will help you catch more fish than the old days of fishing blind, so if you want your tax return or what little discretionary spending money you have to go a long ways, the VX1 Pro is the flasher for you.

Check out the VX1 Pro flasher at the Outdoor Pro Store or watch your local Marcum dealer for end of year inventory slashing price breaks.

1015596.jpg

My dad was in the market for his first flasher and wanted something that wouldn't break the bank.

I didn't even think twice. With the VX-1 Pro you get options like a soft case and zoom feature that you pay extra for with other flashers, all included in the Marcum "base model". I would never call this a base model because its not stripped down, its full of options at a very affordable price. Several times I saw it advertised for $250 this past season.

This is a great flasher, with some options already built in for the price of an entry level model.

I have fish a Vex'r and a Cum'r and a new ALL Hum'r side by side. Whatever unit is getting the interference THAT UNIT ONLY needs to cycle it's IR function tell the interference is gone..then it's good to go.

Do not cycle both at the same time or your fighting each other to get the frequency shift correct...just do the one with the issue..not the other.