• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need help with alignment

sparkydm

I was wheelin a couple weeks ago. I came around a corner in the trail and a stump was crossing the trail right then wink Well my left front rim bent beyond repair and I got a set of used fronts for my machine. I didn't notice anything else bent but am not sure. The front wheels now look toed way out. I know they are supposed to be toed out some(3/4"-9/16") How do I go about checking and adjusting the alignment? I have a repair manual but I can't find any instructions for doing an alignment. It is a 2004 Honda Rancher 350FE ES. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Did you check your tie rod ends and steering column? If you hit hard enough to bend your rim, there's a good chance you at least bent your tie rods.

Also check your frame where the A-arms attach as well as the A-arms to make sure they're not bent.

Quote:
I know they are supposed to be toed out some

That sounds backwards. Toeing out would seem to make steering a little hard as you'll always be fighting with it. I would also suspect it to make turning response a little too quick and somewhat unpredictable.

I know if you toe out a automobile, it will tend to feel like it wants to wander a bit because every slight movement becomes exaggerated.

Bob

I know what you mean Bob! After being a mechanic for over 30 years it goes against everthing I've ever learned or been taught as far as autos and trucks go. But I checked a Honda service manual several years back and it does require toe-out.

From what I've been able to gather, toe out helps with tracking and stability on rough terrain.

The question I have is how do you actually measure it? From where to where? I have a repair manual and it gives the toe out specs but doesn't show where it's measured from. Any advice would be great.