• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fishing kayaks?

I am thinking about getting a kayak for fishing - sick of lugging my 100 pound canoe around when its just me.

I've fished out of an Old Town Otter and a Loon before... it was ok. Now i'm thinking about getting a kayak specifically designed for fishing.

Anybody have a preference? I know that the Emotion Mojo Angler looked pretty awesome, although 750 bucks is a little out of my price range at the moment

I have been looking at them also. Rather then suggest one may I suggest a HSOforum I found helpfull? Kayak Fishing Stuff. Also You tube has some fun video's that one can get an idea of how different ones act in the waves. I hope to find a demo day this spring where I can paddle different ones before I buy. Good luck and I hope you find this post helpfull.

Anybody have experience with either the Pelican getaway or castaway models? One of the main differences is sitting inside or outside. Any benefit to one over the other?

Main use would be fishing slow moving rivers or small lakes in NW Wisconsin.

I have have an Ocean sidekick which I'm mount 3 rod holders. works great. It's a small tandem, the front paddler has to be less than 100lbs, works great with my son or holds a ton of gear if I'm solo.

do some research on the web, there are a bunch of fishing kayaks and do some looking on [YouNeedAuthorization]. I bought my used for less then half price and it had only been used a couple times. My buddy has the emotion and its a cool kayak, but when we go out together, they both work the same.

Doesn't Crow Wing Kayaks make a nice light model for fishing with rod holders and other options. I believe they are made in Brainard, MN.

Theyre stable boats, but not very fast. I would use one on the river, but would hate to have to paddle one for any distance.

I am a big fan of the Hobie kayaks including the Pro Angler...lets you fish and move around at the same time because you use your feet to propel the boat (foot peddles--the fins are under the boat). I've taken mine on small lakes you can't access with a large boat but I've also gone on Mille Lacs on a windy day (in the bays). Fun stuff!

Search for the Hobie Pro Angler and you'll be impressed (or one of their other kayaks).

I've been looking into this as well. Looking at a Native Watercraft Ultimate series. The are a cross between a canoe and Kayak. Not the lightest animal, but that's not my main concern. Stability is what I am looking for and these seem to fit the bill. They are a little spendy so I'm hoping to scrape up enough cash by spring 2010 to pick one up.

There is also a magazine out there dedicated to Kayak fishing, I think it is called Kayak Angler or something like that.

If you live in the metro area go to the Three Rivers Park Distrct web-site and check out the Kayak/Canoe demos they put on. They have several dates and locations at differnet parks to test out boats.

Like many of the others, I am also considering the move from heavy canoe to a kayak. I recommend checking You Tube and searching "kayak fishing". You'll find both informative and entertaining videos. There is also much said about kayak fishing in a web site called: Smallmouth Bass Fishing

From what I've learned so far, a lot of it depends on some key factors. 1. Where you plan to use it most often, Big River, Small Stream, Lake, Pond 2. Speed vs Stability 3. You - How Tall are you, How Heavy are you

I'm 6 foot and about 280. If I go with a Sit On Top kayak I might lean towards the Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Angler. Plenty stable. Downside: 72 pounds.

I've also taken a spin in a Sit InSide Wilderness Pungo 120. I found this to be "less tipsy" than other Sit InSide kayaks that I tried.

In the Rochester area a local kayak dealer is willing to allow you test drive their available kayaks on Wednesday evenings on a small lake. That's where I sampled the Pungo 120. Before I make my purchase (if I do), I will certainly be test floating more kayaks.

Good Luck. Remember to let us know how it worked out for you.

Search around HSO-Classifieds for any sit on top kayak. Anything over 12 feet will work. There are a lot of custom "fishing" ones on the market, but they they all do the same thing.

I have an Ocean Sidekick and I fish from it all the time. It didn't have built in features but I was able to customize. I have mounted to rod holders in back and have a milk crate to hold gear. It cost me $400 and does everything I want it too.