• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fletching issues

kywest

I have the bitzenburger fletching jig and love it. For a long time I have been setting my blazer vanes with a 0 degree helical. I have decided to add a little as I have noticed some knuckle ball action on my arrows. I set it all up last night and just added about 2 degrees or so. I am noticing that the entire vane kind of sits on edge. The base of the vane doesn't seem to want to sit flat on the arrow shaft. Anyone ever have this happen or know how to combat this? Thanks guys.

You didn't mention if you are using a straight clamp, or left or right helical, but I assume straight. Are you adjusting both the front and rear of the jig so that as you add a couple degrees of offset you are putting the rear to one side slightly and the front to the other side slightly? Picture this kind of wrapping the vane over and around the shaft so you have good base contact. You might consider going to a helical clamp also, which "pre-builds" the wrap if you will.

If you have a straight flecthing clamp it will not work properly when attempting to set a helical.

I actaully did this the other day. I glued up a bunch of Flu Flu's with straight fletching then two days later shot the flecting off a target arrow. Easy fix right? Well I forgot I had the straight clamp on the jig and was having a heck of a time getting it to glue down after setting the helical...of course I tried three times. When I did realize what I had done I looked around to make sure nobody was watching. blush

Another screw up I did a few years back was buy right wing fletching for my left wing clamp. I think I fought and even cusssed that deal out before I realized what I had done. Couldn't get that fletch to lay down for nothing, even when I tried to force it. smile

Remember with the Bitz, that you need a helical clamp for best results on helicals or you are simply adding offset when using a straight clamp. ALso, the helical clamp twists the entire vane so it matches the contour of the shaft better.

I don't even use a straight clamp on my bitz cause I prefer a helical. I can dial in how aggressive I want it to be and I've never had a problem with the vanes not sitting correctly. I haven't tried blazers, but I know they are stiffer so that could have something to do with it.

Ok, well I will tell you I have the right helical clamp... It appears to me that the rear of the clamp has the least amount of helical to it so what I may try is moving the vane forward on the shaft and see if that helps. I had only moved the front because I only wanted to add a little helical to a few arrows, shoot them and see if I need to go more. I think I just need to tinker with it a bit more and then go from there. Thanks for the help guys

I did adjust both the front and the back... didn't seem to help any... I decided to move the fletching forward in the clamp and that helped tremendously. Its better but not perfect

Are you sure your turning the top dial in the right direction? With a right wing clamp you should be turning the top dial to the right and the bottom dial to the left. How far is your fletching from the end of the arrow?