• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another GGO night..

JayinMN

The bogs great gray owls are becoming more prevalent again after a month of not being spotted much. Tonight I located one and got a few picture of it before dark. It started hooting which I have never observed one do before. They must be thinking spring. Their call is real deep and low compared to other owls I have heard. The calls were returned from another owl farther down the road and I watched as they both made their way towards one another. The larger of the two owls swooped in and knocked the smaller one off its perch which was followed by a hooting match between the two for a couple of minutes. They seemed to have settled their differences and took to hunting the same area. Maybe they will become a pair and we could have bog owlets this spring. Of course all of this happened when it was too dark out to shoot pictures worth sharing.

3333971463_14beae565a_o.jpg

That's a beauty, Jay.

As you know without my saying so, your time spent in the bog is among the finest of time. You have seen, heard and sensed so much there. Thanks for sharing it with us. It's especially rewarding for me to see your images, since I don't go to the Bog too much.

It's not rare for GGOs to breed this far south. Particularly in irruption years, pairs form and nesting happens right in our back yards.

Jay, you are the GGO master. I really envy you, being able to experience the wilderness like you do. However, when our lakes are open and we are basking in 50 degree heat, and you're still in the Arctic Tundra, I think a bit differently. grin

That is a good one. Not sure when they mate but I would guess its on thier mind. Got Great Horned here and I think they are on eggs now. Real active a couple of weeks ago. Have not heard them since. I know they are still here, the crows tell all.