• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tool for Getting Unstuck?

SkunkedAgain

Does anyone have a tool that they keep in/on their sled to be used if they get stuck? I keep a tow rope and have always thought about a come-along.

I often ride solo back in the woods and have had some long episodes of trying to dig my sled out of deep snow. I'm just wondering if anyone has better ideas for something that works well when you are on your own.

Best advice is to not ride alone. I have put the sled rolling on myself a few times.

If there is no one--I use to carry a Bungee--It is a big strap that has a bungee effect. You stretch it out to a close tree and it puts some serious tension on the sled as you ride it out. before moving up here to the ice land, i use to ride in Wyoming a dozen times a year or so. Used this contraption to pull me out of holes where you could not even see the sled. If your by yourself you have to carry some rope also. This thing is not real long.

Dennis Kirk and Shadetree carry them. A little spendy--but good friend in a jam.

Of course a 144 inch paddle track also helps.

The snobunji is a great tool when riding with others. My nephews have them and when they get stuck, guess who gets to help get them out? The snobunji really helps save the back of the person doing the pulling and it does help pop the sled out pretty good.

But, if I were riding by myself, there may be some perfect instances where a rope extended off the handle could be wrapped around a tree but in most cases, you'd be better off with a shovel and hard labor IMO.

ccarlson