• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camp Ripley-worth the crowds?

BLACKJACK

Maybe its my old navy background, waiting in line to get on the boat, waiting in line to get off the boat, waiting in line for chow, etc., to this day I don't do lines unless I absolutely have to, so I'm wondering if Camp Ripley is really worth fighting the crowds for? I've heard stories of some really nice bucks coming out of there but I've also heard stories about the waiting in line to get in early in the morning and people all over.

One of the charms of bowhunting to me is the peace and quiet and getting away from the zoo atmosphere of the gun season, so give me your thoughts, are the big bucks in Camp Ripley worth the hassle? Are there spots where you can get away from the crowds? How do you hunt Ripley? Sit in a stand all day or what?

Not trying to be negative here and throw rocks at Ripley, would just like to hear from some veterans of the hunt.

Yes, you have to wait in line to access Ripley and there are lots of hunters to contend with, but there are also MONSTER bucks!
The bow season is long so I don’t mind putting up with the extra hunters for two days. With all those bow hunters walking around it really pushes the deer that might not be on the move otherwise. There are times when I don't see another hunter and times when you see alot. I just stay in my stand and let them drive for me. Ripley is so vast and gets so little pressure that it allows these bucks to reach 4-5-6 years old. I’ll be there for the Saturday – Sunday hunt.

Crusher

This will be my second year hunting Ripley and I think one of the enjoyable things for me about Ripley is visiting with the other hunters from around the country. Last year when I arrived at Ripley I didn't know what to expect and was soon to realize that it is one of the biggest hunting/tailgating gettogethers in the country. So for two days out of my hunting season I sacrifice a little solitude, I get to visit with some interesting folks and have a chance to kill a monster.

HC

Have been told my chances of drawing a nonres. Ripley tag are just as good as a res. chances. If so, how long can I expect to wait? Is it a lottery type draw or do you build up pref. points? Good luck to all of you hunting there this fall.

It's a lottery that you build preference. I've noticed a drop in applicant since they went to electronic, especially the 1st time when they switched to els to apply. If you apply as a group your odds are better cuz if one person from your group gets drawn you all automatically get it also. We've got it 3yrs straight.

Yes it's a hassle with so many people out there. There was one time I must of had 20 different hunter come by me or atleast close by. About the mature 4-5-6 yrs old buck, very true, every yr acouple gets harvested. Yeah, the line is long. If you're at the end of the line, by the time your turns comes up to check through the gate it's shooting light already. If you can handle people walking by when you're on stand, go for it. If the thought of people walking by ruins your hunt then it's not for you. Oh, theres no prescouting, you walk-in blind and hope for the best.

It does seem that the number of applicants has dropped. That's fine with me, this is my 4th year in a row! It's great that we can use a management tag this year. As for pre-scouting, I had a friend in the guards get me in on a pass. Spent the whole day scouting. I can't wait to get in the stand. We seen 30 deer in a quarter mile strech at 10:00 am. My spot is picked and logged on the GPS. See ya at the weigh station! smile.gif

Crusher

[This message has been edited by Crusher (edited 09-24-2004).]

Crusher-
That's not fair! You better get in line early or you run the risk of someone getting your spot 1st. Tell you what...give me the GPS cooridinate and I'll stop by and help you drag the deer out. wink.gif
That's assuming that your actually going to shoot a deer with your bow this year. grin.gif
See you up there.

Nels