• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2002 Grizzly 660 won`t start when temp drops below freezing?????

bobesox18

I was wondering if anyone out there had any idea why my 2002 Grizzly 660 Diff Lock light all of a sudden started flashing and my machine won't turn over. No matter what position I have the Diff Lock or 2WD/4WD buttons it won't quit flashing. I can hear it going in and out of 4WD. I have belive I have plenty of battery, everything lights up but I got nothing when I hit the starter button???? It was fine the last time I started it. I saw another post that suggested the CDI? If anyone has a clue what may be going on I could really use the help. I am going to try a new battery. Thanks All!

the starting issue might be related to the CDI.

But before I would go that route, I would double check all electrical connections from your battery, your Diff Lock switch.

The flashing light could either be a diagnostic or a sign that your differential is having problems actuating.

I think Dozer has the same machine and I remember him having an issue after his machine warmed up and not wanting to start. He would use a leatherman tool to jump across posts under his seat and start his machine.

I nicknamed him "Sparky" after that ridegrin

Hopefully Dozer sees this post and can help out. He's far more knowledgeable than me with the Yamaha brand.

The problem I was having with mine tha LEP is refering to was a neutral start switch not working. I would have to jump the solinoid to start it.

Most of the time problems with the dif-lock light flashing are tracked back to problems with the plug on the front diff. I would start by unplugging both plugs and cleaning them. Did you check all your fuses? I dont know why your dif-lock would have anything to do with your wheeler not starting. I would try jumping the starter solinoid with the key on. (the solinoid is just in front of the fuse box under the plastic flap to the left of the battery)

Thanks Dozer and LEP777, I got it running last night, poor connections and a combination of a weak battery seemed to be the problem....Whew!!!! I still don't get why my Grizzly won't start though when the temp drops below freezing? Everyone I have talked to say's that's just the way that machine is(cold blooded). Not buying it??? I know it's not Fuel Injected but man I would really like to take it out Ice Fishing but I don't dare.

Poor starting could just be a matter of a good tune up. I know the raptors with that motor were a little cold blooded. Keep in mind the air is more dense in the winter time and you could use a jetting change in the colder climate.

If you get the chance, run your machine for a while after you get it warmed up pull the plug to see how the electrode looks. If it has a tendency to pop or backfire in the winter, you're either running lean or the air/fuel mixture scrwe needs to be adjusted a little.

My KFX700 was set a little on the lean side to meet the California emmissions. I backed out the AFM screws 1/4 turn and it made a huge difference in starting as well as overall performance.

I have an 05 660 Grizzly and have had no problems with it being cold blooded. I have an 11.1 pistion in mine so it doesnt have enough starter power to turn it over at -10 but if you "help" it with the pull starter I have never had it not start. I have had it on the lake at -25 and it started. I think they all backfire occasionaly after you shut them off. If you let them idle for a couple seconds before you shut it off it should quit backfiring. I would pull the carb off and give it a good cleaning, making sure you can see light through all the jets. Good to hear you got it going and hope you can get the rest figured out!

I have an 05' Grizzly and it is cold blooded, but it will start. One thing you might want to check is the valve adjustment. A classic sign of hard starting on these machines is the exhaust valves have tightened up and need to be adjusted.

I have an 05' Grizzly and it is cold blooded, but it will start. One thing you might want to check is the valve adjustment. A classic sign of hard starting on these machines is the exhaust valves have tightened up and need to be adjusted.

Thats a good point, never even thought of that! Wish I could leave mine togther long enough for the valves to be out of adjustment! Shes getting a set of pistion rings and valve seals nest week! grin

Thanks Guys I'll try the AFM screw and carb clean for sure.

I read another post [Note From ADMIN: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank You] This guy states that the dealer recommended a valve adjustment and it didn't help his machine??? hopefully the jetting id the problem. I have 1800 miles on her but it has well maintained.

Does it crank over good after it sits out in the cold or does it sound like it's struggling to turn over easily? When I first got mine it had a hard time starting when it got cold.

I drained the factory oil and put in some lighter weight stuff and it really helped let the starter do it's job. I also got nervous out ice fishing wondering if the battery will turn it over when it's super cold, but the change in oils was the ticket. You may have to watch it though as we go towards spring/summer and the weather warms up as the oil may be TOO thin to handle that.

I have a 2002 and it has been cold blooded since day one. but like said earlier, it always starts. if its below zero, I won't even try to start it. mine is still starting this winter and I have the original battery. knock on wood. wink

Thanks LMITOUT I checked out the weight of oil I put in it last year and it was 10W40 which might be a little thick for Minnesota cold. With spring so close and my next ride in late April I will wait until fall and then add in a thinner weight like 30 to see what that does!

Thanks again everyone for you feedback...much appreciated.

Bobosox