• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crappie bite

delzz7

The last few days i been catching crappies in the afternoon until 4:30-5pm and then they seem quit biting. I have been fishing in around 30 fow. Should I move in shallower, will they bite again later like 8pm. Most of the fish, Ive caught been close to the bottom and I haven't marked any up the water column. Any suggestions?

One lake i frequent is strictly a day bite for both crappie and bluegill. A very unusual lake 18ft of visibility, the fish will just shut down at dusk. Timing is everything, and remember our days keep getting longer....

I'd say go fish the shallow by a weedline at night. Anywhere from 4-10 ft should produce crappies. It may be slower but from my experience the crappies are bigger. Hope this helps.

I have been in 30 fow for over a week with results every night out all the way from 3 to 6 feet from the ice to a couple of feet off the bottom. I was watching them on my camera last night and they were being the pickiest yet. I cant figure out what to try different tonight I have been trying all different size and shape jigs and rigs from spoons, dropper rigs, glow demons and a few misalliances other jig types. The small ones definitely have been working better now but a lot of lookers that don't even nip lately. The demons have had a lot of luck but they seem to be turning away from them lately. What is something that works good when they start turning away? What is the best way to hook a minnow when they are being that way too? When dead sticking what do you use to get the minnow down if you need to get deep, do you use a small split shot or something? I still want to know when my minnow is moving on my spring.

I was real worried about that for the longest time and after having caught fish I figured I could gamble a little and risk spooking them a little. I have used the camera for the past 3 or 4 nights I have been out and it does not seem to spook them using my infrared down viewing on my Cabela's camera. I was wondering last night if it was spooking them because I had many fish come right up and look at my minnow but would take off. So I brought my camera up and the bite didn't change at all. It is pretty interesting to finally see how they bite and to watch there reaction to different presentations and figure out the best way to work your presentation. It never fails though, you lose your minnow or need to change something and you no more then get it to the surface and there is a big crappie that comes right up to where your bait was not 50 sec ago.

I was out yesterday, I tryed a different lake in 20 fow. We managed to catch 3 9-10 inch crappies and dozen or so smaller ones. They were very light biters, if it wasn't for the LX5 and a spring bobber, we probably would've of been shunked. We couldn't get alot of fish to bite, either

Had a tough weekend of it. Was marking a lot of fish, but having trouble getting them to commit. But the ones I was catching were very nice size.

Prolly caught about 15 the whole day, and took 4 home for dinner.

They have really slowed down a lot and gotten much more finicky.

I had the best luck on a diamond jig tipped with a waxie/euro.

The last few days i been catching crappies in the afternoon until 4:30-5pm and then they seem quit biting. I have been fishing in around 30 fow. Should I move in shallower, will they bite again later like 8pm. Most of the fish, Ive caught been close to the bottom and I haven't marked any up the water column. Any suggestions?

Are you fishing in stained, low viz water? Some lakes with this water quality have a good day bite but they shut down during low light periods.

Where has everyone been finding their crappies during this month of march?? For me, old crappie holes that produced for me during the daytime are overran by sunfish. These holes were 20-30 ft. The shallow holes that produce for me at night now has no crappies! These holes are ideal, next to the weedline with a sandy bottom in 7-10 ft. Anyone been having the same issue??

I have noticed an increase over the deeper holes at night. About a month ago we found them in 32 FOW and they slowly started slowing down so we moved to 17 to 25 FOW. But the last few times I have been out they have been very active over the 32 FOW. Most of the larger more active fish have been 2 to 15 feet under the ice and some active about 6 to 8 feet off the bottom. I am planning on going out tonight so we will see if they are still there.

I was out on Monday all day and caught quite a few, but only in 8 feet of water or less with lots of weeds. They only bit during the day and shut off at night. I have been fishing that area all year and that was the first time I've had them bit shallow or during the day. This size was significantly smaller that normal, however.

I am beginning to think they are moving shallow during the day and moving deep when it gets dark. I don't mark any where I fish during the day and I don't see any on my camera during the day ether just a few gills. But as soon as the sun goes down they move in for a good bite almost all night long.