• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mavs v. Gophs

Down to Earth

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sioux sure got some flak from college hockey fans in the beginning of the year. Now it looks like ole Davey Hakstol is a very good coach. He has away of getting his team to play at a very high level at the end of the season. Right now, they are on a roll!

Alaska should have won 4-2. Big body team will win tonight against a free falling gopher squad.

I don't recall hearing from any Sioux fans until they beat the Gophers let alone giving them flak... Weird how beating the Gophers all of sudden brings the minions out of the woodwork! grin

Quote:
He has away of getting his team to play at a very high level at the end of the season.

The Sioux were not playing at a high level at the end of last year. The Gophers were playing better than the Sioux who down stretch and through the WCHA and NCAA Tournaments were a huge disappointment with their play. Even Sioux fans have acknowledged this.

I think Hakstols pretty good and some are even comparing him to Woog these days!..LOL

I certainly wouldn't give Hakstol the credit for last year, as you know Red JP Lamoureux carried the Sioux on his back the entire season. That's not coaching my friend!... smile

Oh I almost forgot.. the Gophs looked lazy last night but still played good enough to win... I think the miracle save in OT sums up how were running of late.

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't give Hakstol the credit for last year, as you know Red JP Lamoureux carried the Sioux on his back the entire season. That's not coaching my friend!... smile

Kinda like what Kangas did for the Gophs last year to get in the Final 5 Championship.....but not enough to get to the Frozen Four! wink

Sioux are playing some good hockey now, they have turned the season around at 1/2 of the season the last 4 years.

Gophers should win tonight, I hope. Or it will be a long end of the season, maybe they'll get on a roll with Patterson in net!

Pier, CC and Denver don't/didn't play tonight...it was 1 game of a series to be completed the Sat. of the last weekend of regular season, if I'm not mistaken.

Red, once again, great prediction on tonight's game?? I would love to hear (no wait a minute...no I wouldn't) why you believe the Seawolves should have won 4-2 last night. As far as D. "The Bird" Hakstool all of the sudden being a very good coach, there aren't any banners hanging in sueville from his tenure there! I know one thing for sure, there is one very good coach on that bench and thats Eades!

The sioux sure got some flak from college hockey fans in the beginning of the year. Now it looks like ole Davey Hakstol is a very good coach. He has away of getting his team to play at a very high level at the end of the season. Right now, they are on a roll!

Alaska should have won 4-2. Big body team will win tonight against a free falling gopher squad.

Quote:
I know one thing for sure, there is one very good coach on that bench and thats Eades!

because he has a few state...Class "A" titles with Warroad??!??! wink I wouldn't be surprised to see Sioux go to the Frozen Four again this year, - I did say that they wouldn't earlier in the season but they've turned their season like the last 4 years and have been played pretty good solid hockey. We'll let the WCHA final 5 decide who is the better team at the X. Can't wait for March!

Sioux win

Gophs win

SCSU win

Living in IOwa, college hockey is a no-show. Being a Gophs fan is hard,, heck any college hockey fan is hard in IOwa. I just hope that if the Gophs don't do well in march, I hope it's a WCHA team that raises cain with "Hockey East" or Miami or Norte Dame. I hate the teams East of the WCHA.

Quote:
I know one thing for sure, there is one very good coach on that bench and thats Eades!

because he has a few state...Class "A" titles with Warroad??!??! wink I wouldn't be surprised to see Sioux go to the Frozen Four again this year, - I did say that they wouldn't earlier in the season but they've turned their season like the last 4 years and have been played pretty good solid hockey. We'll let the WCHA final 5 decide who is the better team at the X. Can't wait for March!

Sioux win

Gophs win

SCSU win

Not really the line of reasoning for the statement I made, but I guess you are right, that would be part of his resume...a part that Hakstool can't claim. Other than that they both have experience as head coaches in the USHL...Eades with a very good winning percentage(and a title I think) and Davey with a below .500 record. You can compare them anyway you like, but I do KNOW that Eades is one very good hockey coach!

I personally don't write off MN state tourney championships as nothing either...evidently from your question, you don't think thats much of an accomplishment. Even though it has become less difficult with the 2 class system, it's still not an "easy" thing to do.

Quote:
you don't think thats much of an accomplishment. Even though it has become less difficult with the 2 class system, it's still not an "easy" thing to do.

where does it say that I said "its not an accomplishment"? I was just having some fun with the class "A" thing. Some people think its easier to win it than AA, probably true but there are teams who can compete with the "big schools".

It would be fun to see High School go to one class again but there are more teams nowadays so keep it this way. Warroad is one of the True Class A teams in the state, and Eades was one of the greatest coaches in MN (maybe a little bit of good recruiting by Marvin wink ). You know Bemidji is in class "A" right now, its silly. Hopefully they make the change to AA next season as Two seasons have gone by for being in "A". Bemidji should be a good team next year and will compete with Moorhead and Roseau in thier section, although they are on the downfall but there are some great youths coming from the Bantam level. Back to college hockey.

They're both great coaches [Hasktol/Eades] , better than the Lucia/Hill combo for sure. That's just my opinion. Hasktol may not win the big one but if his team keeps going to the Frozen Four, they will win it one day..or not.

did I say, its my opinion?

oh its Hakstol...not Hatstol wink

I may be one of the few Gopher and Sioux fan you will meet.

last I seen... Sioux is on a roll when Gophs are not. Right? Last 20 games- Sioux 14-4-2 Gophers 8-9-3...that don't mean anything, Of course.

Hakstol gets the nod...for now.

I can make you happy by saying Lucia is a better coach than Hill!!! grin

But if you want to compare the first 4 full season of Lucia and Hakstol, sure I'll say Lucia was a better coach.

Hasktol 106-56-15 .641 -4 Frozen Fours, Best Finish- 2nd

Lucia 107-48-17 .671- 2 Frozen Fours, Best Finish- 1st (Two times)

Head to Head

Hasktol wins 7-6-1 (not including both wins at the Ralph this year)

Yes I know I have lots of times with my hands, I was bored and thought I'd do some math.

I'd like them both to be my coach, whoever I play for, I'd be happy...but if I played for the Sioux you'd think we're cheap....every 100% gopher fan probably thinks that way? Just kiddin' grin

Lookin' forward to March!

Hey Mankato fans, how did your team do this weekend??? What comes around, goes around! wink

They were swept at the Ralph, the same way your squad was recently.

At least we put up a fight in one of the games, more than we can say for the Gophs. smirk ND will win the WCHA this year.

Congrats on your 3 point weekend against the mighty Seawolves. Quite the feat to be celebrating for the pride on ice.

Originally Posted By: so haaad
Hey Mankato fans, how did your team do this weekend??? What comes around, goes around! wink

They were swept at the Ralph, the same way your squad was recently.

At least we put up a fight in one of the games, more than we can say for the Gophs. smirk ND will win the WCHA this year.

Congrats on your 3 point weekend against the mighty Seawolves. Quite the feat to be celebrating for the pride on ice.

WOW! I'm just mad that I read this post cause now I'm going to be up all night contemplating this intelligence! The mighty Seawolves...didn't they take 2 of 4 pts at Mankato this year?? Just wondering! WOW again!

Intelligence eh? Gopher fans are so uppity, they just can't stand it when their teams is not that good and people have reason to bag on them.

Mavs are 2-1-1 against AAU this year, so not terrible, but not great either. Gophs are 1-0-1. Just saying taking points from Alaska is usually a gimmee, although they have been a little better the last few years it seems. Also wanted to point out ND handed the gophers their butts at the Ralph also, so you have no leg to stand on by giving us a hard time about losing there.

Mavs and Gophs; neither are very good this year and we all know it.