• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey its been years since I was on the lake! I used to first mate out of algoma an tworivers. I am heading up to Algoma the last weekend in July anybody know of a place that does walk on's? Or maybe has a open spot in their boat? I got the itch!

Just got back from the big pond, what a great weekend. We fished Thursday night, Friday morning and night, Saturday all day/night and Sunday morning. Came home with 47 fish missed at least 15, (five guys)which came to 146lbs of fillets!! Biggest was 23, lots of 15-18 which seemed to be the best fighters. I had a 16lb fish that stayed in the water for 35 minutes. Fish were hitting on dodgers and flies best with some coming on blue glow spoons as it got dark. Weather was perfect, boat and fish cooperated and boy are they biting!! We were out of Algoma with a buddy who runs a charter, everyone was catching fish but we seemed to be doing a little better than most. Lets fish Jeff if you want his info email me and I can get you his number. If he doesn't have space he will know someone that can hook you up.
[email protected]

I will try and post some pics tomorrow.

------------------
Keep the tip up, ask permission and shoot straight. Setterguy

For some reason this year has been NUTS!!! The fishing is first rate. My buddys went out the other day and beteween the 2 of them they never set all their lines! Limits in a couple of hours!
I think water temps play a part.

Setterguy, Do you recall water temps out of Algoma? Did you stay shallow(less than 150' of water)?

I'm heading out this week again. I finally unloaded all my fish to friends and family......Those with smokers atleast! You know, get a little fish back when they get done smoking them. grin.gif

This has definitly been a banner year for trout and salmon!!! smile.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

CIBL - I don't remember what the water temps were, I think they were 61-63? That is probably surface temps though. All of our fishing was done in <125 feet. We did hear guys going deep and doing well also. You are right the fishing is great and we were catching a lot of 2-3 year old fish so hopefully it will be good for years to come. Good luck.

P.S. On Friday Morning we had 5 fish on at one time, we landed 4. The only one we didn't land took out 1000 feet of line and got caught up on another boats line. All four fish were over 15. I am trying to find some way of getting back out this weekend.

can it be luck, well I did pack up my 16ft and headed over to the lake. after pulling an all nighter Friday and launching on Saturday I was anxiously awaiting my time on the lake, It was my first trip out on Big water and I heard there was going to be 3 footers out there. I am not sure how big those waves were but they looked bigger than 3 and more like 6. I certainly didn't pound them like I was hearing but had a very successful trip in my eyes being it was my first trip. I managed to boat 7 Kings with the biggest around 18-20 pounds I would guess. Sunday morning it was a little choppy also and my companion didn't feel so well after about 15 minutes or so. we did manage a couple more nice fish and had a blast. thanks again for the information! you persuaded me into trying something new and had a great time. one thing, of the 100 boats I saw. I think I only saw one smaller. kind of had me thinking if I was nuts at the access??
----- Original Message -----

Bushwac, glad to hear you made it out!
You know, I feel the same way in my 16'er as well. If a guy watches the weather and trys to pick days when the wind is minimal, fishing can be done in 16' boats no problems. I'm fortunate to live close by so I can be more selective on my days.
7 kings isn't bad at all! Especially your first time out. You'll get er down pat after a few outings. It only gets better!
The salmon have been averaging 15-18#s. Many 3-4 year old fish are being caught. As we move into August and September these fish will put on some SERIOUS POUNDAGE!!
Small boats and big fish......I love it!

PS: If I had a big boat I probably wouldn't of said that! grin.gif

------------------

Bushwac, the pics are here now, I think they belong on this thread as well! wink.gif

Some fine salmon caught by Duffman and Bushwac this past weekend. Who says you need a big boat to tackle the big lake? I'm so glad you guys had a fun trip and expect to hear of future reports.....Now that you got a taste of Lake Michigan's bounty!

Bushwac
47b4d938b3127cceb2dcc647e53b0000001610
Kunz and Duffman
47b4d938b3127cceb2dcc610645c0000001610
47b4d938b3127cceb2dcc610645c0000001610
Some bonus photos of a fine CPRed walleye caught by Mrs. Duffman
47b4d938b3127cceb2dcc623e55f0000001610

------------------

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 07-19-2004).]